Directadmin so much better than Plesk

jojolafrite

Verified User
I just moved all my websites from a server running Plesk 12 to a server running DirectAdmin & and i am so satisfied because:

1. You don't force your customers to use the reverse proxy apache + nginx. On the other hand, in Plesk it is installed by Default and it makes the configuration of apache + nginx very complicated. There are twice more configuration files and the apache configuration files terms & concept are totally different from the nginx one. Also with the reverse proxy thing (from which i have never witnessed any performance improvements) it is more complicated to know which web server returns what (headers, files...etc).

2. Your configuration files are well setup and it is ready to use. Right for the fresh installation, it is already well setup. On the other hand with plesk i had to go to configuration files several times for mail server for instance, in order to increase the number of daemons.

3. Once with Plesk, an update blocked all my email address for 24 hours. It was a production update. It was back in 2013 but i think it is not acceptable.

4. I like when a script talks to me. The message center is a brilliant thing & logs are also easily accessible.

5. It is good that the skin is very light because your administration pageloads are very light. So it is possible to go from pages to pages very quickly. And in fact i have never witnessed any sluggish time. It is very important for those who have to do the same tasks 50 times for instance. Also, when there are few information on one page it is important because i think that on today's webpages, our brain is saturated with too many information. It is better to keep it simple. Even if it looks TOO simple.
Plesk webpages are overloaded with information and it is often too much.

6. I had a big problem with the postfix configuration under Plesk. I looked manually into the handshake of my mail server and it tried on many ports before finding the right one. In my mac mail os, i often saw this little symbol that said the email was unreachable. Now, with Exim, with the same email accounts, everything is fine.

7. the filesystem hierarchy added by DirectAdmin is damned logical. The logs are located under /var/logs. The websites folders are located below the name of the user and it is clear. There is no config files located in between somewhere else. It makes it easier to find my way to the right website and take action without losing myself in the files structure.

8. with Plesk i had user permissions problems that have never been able to resolved after more than 1 year of use. I had to setup 777 to many folders & program files (mysql, backup prog, logs). Otherwise i could not access it. I don't talk about users websites but server services at server level that could not work properly without 777.

Thanks for your great review.

While everyone won't agree with you about the use of nginx, many of us don't use it :).

Those of us (John and Mark of the DirectAdmin Staff, Martynas, who works hard with John on the CustomBuild installation system, I, co-developer with John on the exim configuration, and all the other behind-the-scene workers and forum helpers, names too many to mention) all appreciate your kind words.

It's not only the skin that keeps DirectAdmin performance lean and mean; the main code isn't PHP. It's C++ (if I recall correctly). And the interface runs on it's own built-in webserver on (default) port 2222.

We all hope you'll be a valued member of our friendly not-so-little forum :D.

Jeff

My first encounter with server managent software, years ago, was CPanel, as a reseller. Liked how it worked, was kind of easy to grasp the workings of it.
Then the server-owner changed servers and I got stuck with Plesk. Wow, what a step back in time that was.
I hated the way it worked, hated how it switched websites offline during a simple backup or such.
I left there quickly and got another reseller-account somewhere else who had DA running.
After that I got my own VPS and like the way it works now.

Last edited:
Back