DirectAdmin v1.63.4 RC

fln

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone!

We hope you are enjoying the holiday season 🎄 and we are happy to announce the release candidate for 1.63.4.

We really wanted to release some new features in 1.63.4 (WordPress manager and PHP composer manager) but they still need some changes in the API so we are postponing them for 1.63.5 :). Anyone eager to try them out can check out the alpha release channel. So once again we have a smaller release mostly improving scripts for the new DA installations and improvements in how we will handle EOL distros.

Release Change log can can be found here:

DirectAdmin 1.63.4

The update should be automatically available for all installations subscribed to the beta release channel.

We appreciate all the feedback on forums and issues reported in the ticketing system.

Thanks!
fln

What about EOL systems which still are maintained?
We have Centos 6 ELS (Cloudlinux) boxes and they still getting update's from CL
So are we getting regular DA updates besides the security fixes ?

@Active8 , RHEL 6 based systems will receive security fixes only starting 2022 January 1st.

RHEL 6 based systems will receive security fixes only starting 2022 January 1st.
If I recall right, Centos 6 ELS (not the default Centos 6 but from cloudlinux) was supposed supported till 2024 by DA.
But now it seems its only get support for security fixes only, can you elaborate this ?.

If its only get security updates, what kind of security updates ? example php /mysql /LE updates ? or only DA panel updates ?

@smtalk Yes I know that table , but its still not clear
I did not get an answer to my question:
If its only get security updates, what kind of security updates ? example php /mysql /LE updates ? or only DA panel updates ?

And what about Centos 8? :
CentOS 8DA EOLMarch 2022

Really ?, and Almalinux 8 /Rockylinux 8 then ?

@smtalk Yes I know that table , but its still not clear
I did not get an answer to my question:

And what about Centos 8? :
CentOS 8DA EOLMarch 2022

Really ?, and Almalinux 8 /Rockylinux 8 then ?
Debian 10 and 11 are missing too. Maybe the site hasn't been updated for a while.

Maybe the site hasn't been updated for a while.
Yes that is for sure, adding @smtalk @DirectAdmin Support to elaborate,
Still didn't get an answer to my question:
Probably DA staff itself is not sure what this "security backports" will be.
Must we drop Centos 6 ELS (which is full supported by CL till 2024) because DA stops updating ?

Yes, I know that an upgrade is desirable (we have only 1 Centos 6 ELS box, rest is Centos 7 + Almalinux 8,5 and Ubuntu).
But an upgrade let say to Almalinux 8.5 not possible because of the used software by some clients (who cant upgrade their used software to support new OS).

Maybe a small fix that can make it into this version: under Advanced Features I see the option Redis. That's not enabled with a Personal License, so why show it there?

@Active8 @webcraft Here is my take on the issue. Normally people would move away from EOL distros because they do not receive updates for the main services they are running - like web-server, DNS server, mail server, etc. So for a normal application to "support" old distros usually means to just be able to compile it on old box. And people will move away to newer distro for their own reasons.

DA however is in a completely different situation. Because DA compiles latest services from sources, for us maintaining distro compatibility means not only making sure DA binary works fine but to also provide updates for web-servers, DB engines, DNS, email servers etc. So in essence we get more maintenance work than distro package providers. It is really unreasonable to expect we will provide latest 3rd party software for CentOS 6 which was released 10 years ago.

So to clarify - RHEL 6 based systems will receive an DA panel update if we find security issues in the panel. Regarding CustomBuild we will not be providing new versions of apache/nginx/php/mysql/mariadb/exim/... for EOL distros. So at some point upgrading services via CustomBuild will stop working for EOL distros. It might not be the same day as distro goes EOL, but as soon as we run into issues building packages on EOL distro.

@EthernetServers thanks for notice about the broken link. We updated the distro EOL page.

@Erulezz thanks for reporting the issue 🙇‍♂️, it might have happened if you have user accounts or user packages with redis support enabled in the user.conf, we released a quick fix to hide it from UI.

Used the new installer yesterday and I like it so far. Welcome addition in this version to set CB in the foreground. License key makes it simpler and quicker. Couple of things I noticed;

- When DirectAdmin was installed (and the CustomBuild installation was still running) I receive this message:
This message has been automatically generated notifying you that the service da-popb4smtp is currently down.
After CustomBuild finished the service was up. Maybe not send this message on first login when the installation is still in progress. Small thing I know, but maybe can leave a bad impression for new DA users that something is immediately down.
- Maybe send the root MariaDB password to the Messages system for the admin when installation finishes. Now I had to grep the install log file:
cat install.txt | grep "Setting password"
Or am I missing something here?

- Maybe send the root MariaDB password to the Messages system for the admin when installation finishes. Now I had to grep the install log file:
Actually you have to do the same for the initial admin password. I find this unlucky as well but sending security-relevant information to the message system seems a bad idea to me.

That's also true. I always change the generated passwords but for the people that don't it's a bad idea. Maybe just a file with all generated passwords somewhere after the install?

Used the new installer yesterday and I like it so far. Welcome addition in this version to set CB in the foreground. License key makes it simpler and quicker. Couple of things I noticed;

- When DirectAdmin was installed (and the CustomBuild installation was still running) I receive this message:

After CustomBuild finished the service was up. Maybe not send this message on first login when the installation is still in progress. Small thing I know, but maybe can leave a bad impression for new DA users that something is immediately down.

Or am I missing something here?

1. It was fixed in 1.63.4.
2. MySQL da_admin password is stored in /usr/local/directadmin/conf/my.cnf, you can authenticate like this:
Code:
mysql --defaults-extra-file=/usr/local/directadmin/conf/my.cnf
3. admin password is stored in setup.txt, but you may just do the following to generate login URL:
Code:
/usr/local/directadmin/directadmin --create-login-url user=admin

3. admin password is stored in setup.txt, but you may just do the following to generate login URL:

Did something change in 1.63.4? New installation just now, previously the admin password is directly shown at installation, but now:

Success!!

Welcome to DirectAdmin version 1.63.4!

Here is the information given:

Admin user: admin
etc etc etc

But no mention at all about the admin password or that it can be found in /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/setup.txt. I think it's better that the password is directly shown, or any mention about setup.txt.

The file manager on 1.63.4 (not release candidate) when using a dark theme is unreadable (ugly mix of white and black)
Looks completely broken to me.

Black on black doesn't work somehow.
Also can't really appreciate that the top bar menu moved to the left as I now have horizontal scrollbars if I want to see file details.

@wila

Back