DirectAdmin v1.642 RC

fln

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone!

We are happy to announce the release of DirectAdmin 1.642 RC.

Highlight of this release is cPanel import feature in GUI and Evolution color customizations upgrade.

Release Change log can can be found here:

DirectAdmin 1.642

The update should be automatically available for all installations subscribed to the beta release channel.

We appreciate all the feedback on forums and issues reported in the ticketing system.

Thanks

@Richard G we had a long internal dicsussion for this :). So far we have changed the internal default for local_mailserver_without_dnscontrol to 1 in the directadmin.conf. And we plan to remove it in the upcoming releases. The plan is to make MX page visible for all users. Users without DNS control would be only allowed changing options section and MX templates section, editing MX records directly will not be available.

Passing custom directadmin.conf location in CLI calls removed

A little sad to hear about this.

Since dataskq has been integrated into the directadmin binary, I think there really needs to be a way to pass alternative directadmin.conf values on a case-by-case CLI call basis.

I had a post about this at:

But it never gained any traction. I guess I'm the only one that's in favor of this.

But limiting things to a single directadmin.conf setting seems to be less conducive to various customizations.

While an easy case-by-case CLI directadmin.conf value change was not possible with DirectAdmin's /usr/local/directadmin/dataskq when it was it's own binary, it did allow for the function of specifying an alternative directadmin.conf on that specific dataskq run. All of this seems to have been removed when dataskq was integrated into /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin - I'm not sure that's a positive move.

@sparek thanks for sharing your use case of --config flag in dataskq. The reason for --config flag removal was that it was not fully implemented. Despite flag being available in previous releases there were some cases where config from default location would be used.

Seems the best way forward would be making options skip_domains_in_backups, skip_hometargz_in_backups, skip_imap_in_backups controllable on a per backup job basis. (y) for bringing this to our attention.

Would allowing environment variables to override /usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf values be a better solution?

That way any directadmin.conf variable could be overridden with a specific /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin binary call.

i.e.:

skip_domains_in_backups=1 skip_hometargz_in_backups=1 skip_imap_in_backups=1 /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin taskq '--run=action=backup&append%5Fto%5Fpath=nothing&database%5Fdata%5Faware=yes&email%5Fdata%5Faware=yes&local%5Fpath=/backup/packages&owner=admin&select%30=${THEUSER}&type=admin&value=multiple&when=now&where=local'

The call to /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin would load all of the values/variables from /usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf but skip_domains_in_backups, skip_hometargz_in_backups, and skip_imap_in_backups would all be explicitly set to 1. The same could be true for any value/variable in /usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf

I think that would give the most leverage for customization. But programmatically I don't know how difficult that would be to implement. You'd basically have to get a key list from /usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf and check to see if that key (variable) is explicitly given as an environment variable then set it to that value, otherwise use the value of the key (variable) in /usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf

The problem actually is not just getting part of config from environment or using different config file, but making sure we propagate this config further. For example when making a backup dataskq binary might execute directadmin binary for a particular sub task.

You can actually already control what to backup by fine tuning the task parameters. For example:

Code:
action=backup&append%5Fto%5Fpath=nothing&database%5Fdata%5Faware=yes&email%5Fdata%5Faware=yes&local%5Fpath=/backup/packages&option%30=autoresponder&option%31=database&option%31%30=trash&option%31%31=vacation&option%32=database%5Fdata&option%33=email&option%34=emailsettings&option%35=forwarder&option%36=ftp&option%37=ftpsettings&option%38=list&option%39=subdomain&owner=admin&select%30=${THEUSER}&type=admin&value=multiple&when=now&where=local

Part that selects what to backup is:

Code:
...&option%30=autoresponder&option%31=database&option%31%30=trash&option%31%31=vacation&option%32=database%5Fdata&option%33=email&option%34=emailsettings&option%35=forwarder&option%36=ftp&option%37=ftpsettings&option%38=list&option%39=subdomain&...

This list does not include domains data and email data. You can see what options available by triggering custom ad-hoc backups from the GUI and checking what task command gets written into /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue.

The plan is to make MX page visible for all users. Users without DNS control would be only allowed changing options section and MX templates section, editing MX records directly will not be available.
Yep, this was the plan indeed. Including a kindlike DNS manager for resellers so we can change the mx records directly for users without DNS control.
I was just wondering if that was implented yet already. But I see that has still to come. No problem. Thank you.

P.s. The discussion was not that long, we agreed fairly quick, only the text was long. LoL. :D

It broke Icon Grid Traditional theme I tried even to reset it then set custom colors

reset.png

@DanielP could you share with us the contents of /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/admin/skin_customizations/evolution/files/ directory and /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/admin/skin_customizations/evolution/config.json file?

Would be great if you could send me links to those files via private message. Or if you would create a tech support ticket we could ask for server access there.

@tristan I got feedback from CB team that this is not a general bug, but a miss-configuration on your side.

@fln Interesting, I can replicate this on every Debian machine, followed the documentation and use_hostname_for_alias is set to yes of course. Hostname itself was already set correctly upon install. Would the CB team be so kind to share the "mis-configuration" in the documentation so we can all benefit?

You have been flagged as repeatedly abusing DA staff for getting technical support. By reporting invalid configuration as bug and asking how to fix it. Sorry but the kindness reserves were depleted quite some time ago and it lead to your requests being ignored. Please consider purchasing DA license with technical support and our support team will gladly help you out.

That's new information as well, I stopped using the ticket system (like we used in the old days) to report bugs or documentation omissions a long time ago and I never DM DA staff directly here. I try to exclusively post on this forum for DA servers without a license with technical support. This problem with the redirect not working could be either a bug or a documentation problem of course but I don't see why that would make me flagged as "repeatedly abusing DA staff"?

Just like with the documentation omissions thread I only like to make this software and its documentation better by spending my own time to investigate and share these problems on this forum. Surely you'd rather have your documentation correct so these "invalid configuration" problems don't occur anymore? IMHO if there is a step missing in the steps to convert to FastCGI in your documentation it would make way more sense to add that directly to the documentation in stead of having each client opening up a ticket to be able to hear how to fix the configuration after this migration to FastCGI?

@DanielP could you share with us the contents of /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/admin/skin_customizations/evolution/files/ directory and /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/admin/skin_customizations/evolution/config.json file?

Would be great if you could send me links to those files via private message. Or if you would create a tech support ticket we could ask for server access there.

I sеnd you a private message

I think other can reproduce just select Icong Grid + Traditional

Last edited:
Thanks @DanielP, yes the root cause is traditional theme, I have missed it in your initial post. With the Evolution colors upgrade old theme CSS is no longer compatible. We are working on a solution.

You have been flagged as repeatedly abusing DA staff for getting technical support. By reporting invalid configuration as bug and asking how to fix it. Sorry but the kindness reserves were depleted quite some time ago and it lead to your requests being ignored. Please consider purchasing DA license with technical support and our support team will gladly help you out.

:D:D:D

Interesting, now we understand why days and weeks go by since a bug is reported, providing all the required information and it is completely ignored.
You want to tell us that we pay a license for software that fails more and more, because it is published without being properly tested in all common scenarios, and we also have to pay extra for some features that should be included in the software that is already paid for, it does not work well, it is reported, but you say, as always, the fault lies with the clients, who do not know how to install or configure it, then we have to do extra work to show that it is not our fault and finally, you ignore the thread without giving a solution... bravo JBMC Software.

(y);)

To be fair @Yoshua, the Personal/Personal Plus licenses clearly state that it includes installation technical support/community-based support (https://web.archive.org/web/20220301001200/https://www.directadmin.com/pricing.php)

I see where you're coming from that it's annoying that bugs are not investigated via their ticket system, but if you compare a $2 a month license (literally 50cents a week) to any other open-source control panel platform. At least DirectAdmin monitor and investigate bugs within a timely period (depending on the severity); these free open-source panels don't even have any support or are full of vulnerabilities.

And honestly, if you're running anything mission-critical on these basic plans, you're an idiot. Why would you jeopardise your business over $6 a week..... ($29 with 25% discount)

Back