Does CB2.0 do the proftpd -> pureftpd conversion?

pucky

Verified User
During the installation of DA on a new server i chose CB1.2 so it installed proftpd by default.

But then later i decided to try CB2.0 and the only option during ./build install all was pure-ftpd so i went with it.

I just tested ftp using pure-ftpd and it works but i cant for the life of me find pure-ftpd.conf. Where is that located?
I see pure-ftpd.pem and pureftpd.pdb but nothing else in /etc/*.

Does the CB2.0 actually do the conversion as per the DA knowledgebase article says? What it says is it empties the proftpd.passwd but mine is not empty. It still contains the admin credentials although i can login as ADMIN, PASSWORD to pure. I thought i had to use [email protected] to login?

Im going to be moving users from a proftpd environment, taking a backup and restoring in on a new server that actually running pure.

1) does this mean i have to do the proftpd -> pure conversion on the old server before i take a backup of the sites? Or will the conversion happen after i restore the sites on the new server running pure?

Thanks

I saw that thread but i dont see any config options in init.d. Just pure-ftpd which is the start script.

/etc/init.d/pure-ftpd

Code:
LOG=/var/log/pureftpd.log
DB=/etc/pureftpd.pdb
OPTIONS="-B -A -C 4 -E -H -k 95 -L 10000:8 -O stats:${LOG} -l puredb:${DB} -p 35000:35999 -u 100 -U 133:022 -w -Z"
OPTIONS="${OPTIONS} -Y 1 -J HIGH:MEDIUM:+TLSv1:!SSLv2:+SSLv3"

/etc/init.d/pure-ftpd

Code:
LOG=/var/log/pureftpd.log
DB=/etc/pureftpd.pdb
OPTIONS="-B -A -C 4 -E -H -k 95 -L 10000:8 -O stats:${LOG} -l puredb:${DB} -p 35000:35999 -u 100 -U 133:022 -w -Z"
OPTIONS="${OPTIONS} -Y 1 -J HIGH:MEDIUM:+TLSv1:!SSLv2:+SSLv3"

Is this specific to DA because iv run pure on other boxes and also had a pure-ftpd.conf to play with. At least thats what i remembered.

It's specific to... PureFTPd ;)

http://download.pureftpd.org/pure-ftpd/doc/README.Configuration-File

Unlike many daemons, Pure-FTPd doesn't read any configuration file (but for LDAP and SQL). Instead, it uses command-line options.

If you want to use a configuration file with Pure-FTPd, you can, through a wrapper. That wrapper will parse a file and convert it to command-line options. Then, the server will be started with these options.

Still waiting for a comment on this from someone who knows.

Does the CB2.0 actually do the conversion as per the DA knowledgebase article says? What it says is it empties the proftpd.passwd but mine is not empty. It still contains the admin credentials although i can login as ADMIN, PASSWORD to pure. I thought i had to use [email protected] to login?

Im going to be moving users from a proftpd environment, taking a backup and restoring in on a new server that actually running pure.

1) does this mean i have to do the proftpd -> pure conversion on the old server before i take a backup of the sites? Or will the conversion happen after i restore the sites on the new server running pure?

Thanks

Hello,

1) There is not currently an options.conf convertor (might be one in the future)...
At currently, it's best to delete your options.conf and let cb2 rebuild it, eg:
Code:
./build set custombuild 2.0
./build update
rm -f options.conf
./build
and reset your options.conf as desired. A few of the options are different, so are not straight conversions.

2) There is no pureftpd.conf.. DA boots pureftpd with the options in the /etc/init.d/pure-ftpd file.

3) WHen going from proftpd to pure-ftp, there isn't as much of a "conversion" as it is, using the existing proftpd.passwd file (DA never stops using it), and creating a /etc/pureftpd.pdb each time it's changed (DA updates the pdb regularly based on proftpd.passwd).
So you will still be using the /etc/proftpd.passwd. This also makes it easy if you want to go back to proftpd.. since it will already be full updated and no need to change it.

John

Hello,

1) There is not currently an options.conf convertor (might be one in the future)...
At currently, it's best to delete your options.conf and let cb2 rebuild it, eg:
Code:
./build set custombuild 2.0
./build update
rm -f options.conf
./build
and reset your options.conf as desired. A few of the options are different, so are not straight conversions.

2) There is no pureftpd.conf.. DA boots pureftpd with the options in the /etc/init.d/pure-ftpd file.

3) WHen going from proftpd to pure-ftp, there isn't as much of a "conversion" as it is, using the existing proftpd.passwd file (DA never stops using it), and creating a /etc/pureftpd.pdb each time it's changed (DA updates the pdb regularly based on proftpd.passwd).
So you will still be using the /etc/proftpd.passwd. This also makes it easy if you want to go back to proftpd.. since it will already be full updated and no need to change it.

John

Ok thanks for the recap. I thought DA stopped using the proftpd.passwd file. So it seems i can still ftp using: USERNAME instead of [email protected]. Why does the docs say you have to change to [email protected] as part of the login creditals for pure?

John

Hence I'm right continuining to backup that file (/etc/proftpd.passwd) in my backups.
Do I have to backup /etc/pureftpd.pdb too?

Last edited:
we had pure running and I could Not connect with any ftp client, so was changed to pro and all was well
the client I have used for many years without any troubles on a windows machine is TurboFTP, I tried many others and still cant connect until proftp was in place
Im wondering if it was anything to do with the newest versions of php and mysql, because if my memory serves me correctly, on older versions of them , pure was working, but I preferred pro

I tested these for AndyII, and was able to connect to PureFTP without difficulty with my FTP client (filezilla/Linux) and from the Linux command line, but nevertheless, a reversion back to proftpd fixed ftp for him.

Jeff

Back