Dovecot 2.0.1 is released. How to install.

smtalk

Administrator
Staff member
Installation:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
wget -O dovecot-2.0.1.tar.gz http://dovecot.org/releases/2.0/dovecot-2.0.1.tar.gz
perl -pi -e 's/dovecot:1.2.14:1fe41e99c1dea311beee6d4d994490cc/dovecot:2.0.1:f58749dae7826d82b96fccf2c9e3bbf7/' versions.txt
wget -O /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf http://custombuild.eu/dovecot.conf
mv /etc/dovecot.conf /etc/dovecot.conf.1.2
ln -s /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf /etc/dovecot.conf

Add dovenull user:
FreeBSD systems:
Code:
/usr/sbin/pw groupadd dovenull
/usr/sbin/pw useradd -g dovenull -s /sbin/nologin -n dovenull

CentOS/RedHat/Fedora:
Code:
/usr/sbin/useradd -r -s /bin/false dovenull

Debian/Ubuntu:
Code:
adduser --system --group --no-create-home --disabled-login --force-badname dovenull

Last edited:
Any particular reason we shouldn't use the default ciphers?
Code:
ALL:!LOW:!SSLv2:!EXP:!aNULL

This should be removed:
Code:
default_login_user = dovecot
The default "default_login_user" is dovenull, a separate account that needs to be created for security reasons.

This should be removed from the services section:
Code:
user = root

This is already the default and doesn't need to be added:
Code:
first_valid_uid = 500
last_valid_uid = 0

Code:
pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv

Here, 0 is already the default value, so this could be removed if not set to 1024 ;).
Code:
auth_cache_size = 0

Also, there are some useful plugins that could be enabled by default :)

Any particular reason we shouldn't use the default ciphers?
Code:
ALL:!LOW:!SSLv2:!EXP:!aNULL
Any particular reason why we should? :) It's a converted file from http://files.directadmin.com/services/custombuild/dovecot.conf, we had the same chipers here.

This should be removed:
Code:
default_login_user = dovecot
The default "default_login_user" is dovenull, a separate account that needs to be created for security reasons.
Yes, I agree and it's removed now. Added instructions for dovenull creation.

This should be removed from the services section:
Code:
user = root
Code:
first_valid_uid = 500
last_valid_uid = 0
Code:
pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv
Here, 0 is already the default value, so this could be removed if not set to 1024 ;).
Code:
auth_cache_size = 0
Also, there are some useful plugins that could be enabled by default :)

Why we should remove the default values? They do not affect anything and users are able to change any setting if they need. We have a lot of commented lines too (and we had in http://files.directadmin.com/services/custombuild/dovecot.conf), dovecot does not pay any attention to them, so they could have been removed too, but they are left to make the file more understandable.

Any particular reason why we should? :)
Hehe :). OK, that can be discussed elsewhere. That list is an adapted one from the default cipher-spec string of OpenSSL.

OK about not removing the default items for educational reasons, but I think they should be commented out to indicate that they don't need to be set.

Somebody made a comment about permissions earlier (and deleted it). Permissions in /var/run are automatically set by Dovecot.

I am currently running Dovecot 1.2.14 on my server, but Custombuild does not update Dovecot to 2.0.1.

Is this normal Custombuild behaviour?

Is it necessary for me to upgrade to Dovecot 2.0.1? I mean, is there any particular advantage over the 1.2.x series?

Is it necessary for me to upgrade to Dovecot 2.0.1? I mean, is there any particular advantage over the 1.2.x series?

I was using the 2.0 beta already for multiple certificates on SSL. Since 2.0 has not been added to custombuild (yet), I think theres no rush in upgrading.

2.0.1 is a stable release now right? Not beta?

Also is there any urgent need to update from the latest 1.2 version to 2.0.1?

Hello,

in service auth
user=root can be replaced with user=mail

so auth process doesn't need to be run as root

i can't get the build script to compile the 2.0.1 files. It always tries to download and install 1.2.14. any ideas?

Josh

i can't get the build script to compile the 2.0.1 files. It always tries to download and install 1.2.14. any ideas?
did you do this
perl -pi -e 's/dovecot:1.2.14:1fe41e99c1dea311beee6d4d994490cc/dovecot:2.0.1:f58749dae7826d82b96fccf2c9e3bbf7/' versions.txt
Dont do ./build update, just do ./build dovecot after running that perl line

Back