Easyest way to migrate server, how?

Dedora

Verified User
We got server domain.com with some accounts and DA on it.

Now we got another server, we can use another DA installation license on that, no problem there.
We like to move all accounts from server A to server B and keep domain.com as the main domain name. What's the easyest way to do this?
So if possible including both DNS names and such (ofcourse the ip's will change).

Hostname of server A is server5.domain.com so I can easily use server6.domain.com for DA installation purposes.

But what's te best to do next?

My plans were to just setup domain.com also on server B.
Then make an admin backup on server A, transfer it to server B and unpack it there, overwrite existing settings and change ip's.

Just before that, change ip's on nameserver with domain registrar. This will take some time to resolve, but since I will be doing this at night time, that's no problem.

Or is there a better way?

Greetings, Dedora.

There are multiple topics about this, you could do a search.

Then make an admin backup on server A, transfer it to server B and unpack it there, overwrite existing settings and change ip's.
Good plan, but you don't need to change ip's. You can configure that the local ip is used on restore and not the ip's from the backup.
So that is already a benefit.
There is a bug in admin restore which still is not fixed. So after an admin restore you will get an error. If all is well, the only issue is that your admin's packages (reseller packages) are not restored. So you have to re-create them manually.
Check that you also have your nameservers correct again (with the new ip's).

After this is done, configure the server, fix things like you want to have them, customisations in options.conf and directadmin.conf, install things like DKIM and Letsencrypt.

If you're happy, then do an admin backup/transfer to the new server and restore on the new server, watch out for the ip's.
Best is restore all resellers first and all user last.

Rest of the idea is good.

There are some other ways. Some don't backup mail and use rsync for that, like I said, search the forums.

But imho the admin backup/transfer method is the easiest way. I also always use that method.
However I do use rsycn to transfer other things like custom entry's, my root tools, csf.conf and pignore files and these kind of things.

If also ipv6
I had a problem with that, don't know cause and also not really solved, i did take for that user another ipv6 after restore.

Not sure how when problem arised!
But i guess i better hadn't a ipv6 before the restore.

If no ipv6 see above Richard's .. ;)

We got server domain.com with some accounts and DA on it.

Now we got another server, we can use another DA installation license on that, no problem there.
We like to move all accounts from server A to server B and keep domain.com as the main domain name. What's the easyest way to do this?
So if possible including both DNS names and such (ofcourse the ip's will change).

Hostname of server A is server5.domain.com so I can easily use server6.domain.com for DA installation purposes.

But what's te best to do next?

Just before that, change ip's on nameserver with domain registrar. This will take some time to resolve, but since I will be doing this at night time, that's no problem.

Or is there a better way?

Greetings, Dedora.
https://showbox.bio/ https://tutuapp.uno/ https://vidmate.cool/
my issue has been solved

Back