Error 520: Web Server Is Returning an Unknown Error - Cloudflare

Tommyhara

Verified User
Hello,

I am getting this error for my website: Error 520: Web Server Is Returning an Unknown Error - Cloudflare

I checked the log file and saw this
Thu Sep 02 00:10:02.008144 2021] [ssl:warn] [pid 23171] AH01909: www.mydomain.com:443:0 server certificate does NOT include an ID which matches the server name

How to fix this?

Thank you!

Last edited:

this one is i think one of the later...

yep, we just noticed our server with directadmin is experiencing these 520 errors randomly trough the day, very very randomly. on a few hours i have just seen 2 times.

disabling cloudflare, i can't manage to see any error or slow loading, so i would blame cloudflare itself.

plus this very same forum gives me the error.

Attachments

• Captura.PNG
    Captura.PNG
    114.4 KB · Views: 140
same here....

Attachments

• da-forum-err.png
    da-forum-err.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 83
@Zhenmue @apogee Agreed with you
It happened sometimes after some clicks when viewing web pages
and I see this error just happened some recent days (for me)

I uninstalled csf firewall but still got the error, I think it is not from csf firewall
more people said in those threads, they disabled Cloudflare and it solved the problem but I don't want to disable cloudflare
Waiting for official solution from the community

I notice this error only happens with Directadmin and Clouflare
I have websites running with Plesk or cPanel and Cloudflare but don't get this error.

I notice this error only happens with Directadmin and Clouflare
I have websites running with Plesk or cPanel and Cloudflare but don't get this error.
Yes but this was there a change / update of something on the box or a renew from certs or a script change or updated?
Maby something is a little slower , or more protected... !?!? timeouts ssl ...

So not after any update / change on DA box or that domain or change / update renewed Cert as Letsencrypt for example. from the teh DA server of domain itself?

Certs are renewed automaticly , (letsencrypt for server hostname for example)
Some updates are depending on settings also automatic.. therefor look close

Just had the forum one again. I so far have only seen this happening on my DA/Apache hosts on and off. I run DA/OpenLiteSpeed on a few servers (with CF cache/DNS, LE Certs on server and full encrypted between server and CF, that's how they are all configured) and haven't seen it on those hosts as of yet, may just be lucky so far. Last week didn't experience it too many times, but this week they have been picking up again.

Error 520 Ray ID: 688962319e255437 • 2021-09-02 20:10:45 UTC <- forum error just now opening post
Have seen it on the forum about 5 times so far in the last two days.

FYI:
meto here this forum.directadmin forum 2 minutes ago

I just did get a cloudflare not found error for this forum.

But then i use now a VPN

If using VPN cloudflare is hmm slow bad and uhum if switching IP not custommer friendly partly yup not found or long waiting times or even captcha's

That is for sites that live from visitors not so good as they are kind of bashed by cloudflare if trying to have some privacy over vpn

Maybe the 520 are from those...

I am waiting for the solution from Directadmin support team or Cloudflare team.

I got this from Cloudflare, they are fixing, so we don't need to change anthing on the server, let wait for their fix but may be very long....

cf.png

Last edited:
We solved this error, the guide is https://forumweb.hosting/21401-dire...web-server-is-returning-an-unknown-error.html
This error was from Cloudflare, but it can be solved by Directadmin and I still wait for directadmin if possible or from Cloudflare if they can fix it soon.
P/s: my websites run faster 2x or 3x when disabled Cloudflare dns. :)
I'm wondering why you call this a fix, you are disabling Cloudflare. That is not the fix I am waiting for. I know the problem is somewhere between those two...

Heard from one of my resellers and they found a solution. Says it was caused by the "Always online" function, updated it to the new internet archive version and the problems went away. I'm still testing this on a few websites to confirm, but I haven't seen it happen yet, or any complaints from customers that I have made the change.

Back