Error trying to protect directory

tuba

Verified User
hi,

i am trying to protect a directory for the first time and i get ther following message:

An error occured while attempting to protect the directory

Details
Unable to read the protected directories list file

Any suggestions

Hello,

The only instance of that read error is when you are trying to remove a protected directory and the file doesn't exist... anyway, the file is located at:

/home/username/domains/.htpasswd/.protected.list

Note that both the .htpasswd directory and .protected.list files are hidden.

To create the file .protected.list file, you'd go:

User Panel -> Directory Password Protection -> Find a Directory to Password Protect -> click "protect" beside the Directory you want to protect -> enter the info.

That should create the file for you.. I'm not too sure why it got deleted. Also check permissions on the directories just in case.

John

John,

Thank you for your reply, I had followed the process you outlines to the letter and get to the following page:

Use Password Protection on /domains/smitf.org.uk/public_html/bible-crosswords/members
Protected Directory Prompt: eg: Member's Area
Set/Update User: (Not required)
and Password:
Re-Enter Password:

Go back to the list of Password Protect Directories

The Protected Directory is already filded with 'Members' I add the Password which is the password that I use for this domain and still get the error message:

An error occured while attempting to protect the directory

Details
Unable to write the protected directories list file

Jim Saxton

Hello,

We'll I had a look at that site, and it *is* protected, but the file wouldn't be writeable for a few reasons:

1) disk is full
2) quota is all used up
3) your user doesn't have permission on the file (this might be caused by manual root editing or setting permissions to lower than 600)

If you want me to have a look at the directory and it's permissions, you can send your login info to [email protected] (and root password if you have it).

John

Back