Evo Theme - UI Considerations

youds

Verified User
OK so I have had a few outstanding issues raised. Let me start, the Evolution theme has redefined what is possible in DirectAdmin. The sleek, user friendly AJAX reliant theme is a beautiful commodity with a great feature set. However, there are still outstanding feature issues which could be finished ad-hoc over 3-6 months. That aside, there is some new themes setup with the current feature set.

Unfortunately, there are still outstanding issues with the user functionality - it is possible to break this. Rightly, wrongly, it is possible, through normal operations. I am hoping (by writing this) to make sure that the reproducible cumbersome elements are identified and nullified.

So firstly, the Orange Error Choice. Luckily this is configurable but out of the box clearly should be a more red tone. Orange means safe.

Secondly, the theme can be unresponsive on click. A method to identify clicks rather than responses from AJAX is lacking and this is very clear throughout. The code is actually slow and I run 8GB of RAM - my phone doesn’t. This is compounded by a simple issue of basic element modals, dialogs etc are not providing a spinner or whatever “onclick” rather waiting for the result of the JavaScript call.

On the whole the theme is - excellent. These are nagging UI configuration problems. I hope you appreciate my comments. I think @smtalk’s contribution has been over and above. I am going to push for HTML only version and pray the click fail is fixed in a new(ish) release.

Major issues that need addressing:
- When a button is clicked, display a button with a spinner to identify the click is registered
- If there is no SSL certificate and the panel won’t load, display a message
- Compress Javascript Code and offer a light version of the theme for those noticing massive changes in loading speed

Hope this helps.

I don't know. I was going to PM @smtalk.

Fact is, if this doesn't get fixed, a HTML only version is inevitable.
Are we talking about the same theme? The evolution theme has been the standard default theme for like a year now. If it has bugs in it shouldn't that be a support ticket or on feedback.

The theme does work already. You are asking have it improved.

Fact is, if this doesn't get fixed, a HTML only version is inevitable.
The fact is we don't own the company so they don't have to do anything?

They most likely will listen.

Sure. I think I gave it enough credibility, but I was thinking about doing a HTML only version, if they don‘t listen.

I only posted this to help. @smtalk has been doing network related tests on the speed of the theme and has found it is quicker, when clearly its not quicker in the UI because nothing happens onclick.

I have other notes on this subject, privately. Do I share them?

Kind regards

Sure. I think I gave it enough credibility, but I was thinking about doing a HTML only version, if they don‘t listen.

I only posted this to help. @smtalk has been doing network related tests on the speed of the theme and has found it is quicker, when clearly its not quicker in the UI because nothing happens onclick.

I have other notes on this subject, privately. Do I share them?

Kind regards
It's a little bit abstract. I'd really appreciate if you may open 2 windows next to each other and do the same action there, or simply use a time counter to see how long does it take after click.

- Compress Javascript Code and offer a light version of the theme for those noticing massive changes in loading speed
It's compressed already. The skin will get complete components (not UI) rewrite in its code in VueJS3, no ETA on this yet, but it'll have smaller chunks of JS there.

It's a little bit abstract. I'd really appreciate if you may open 2 windows next to each other and do the same action there, or simply use a time counter to see how long does it take after click.

It's compressed already. The skin will get complete components (not UI) rewrite in its code in VueJS3, no ETA on this yet, but it'll have smaller chunks of JS there.
Yeah apologies, my notes go way back to when this wasn't even alpha.

I think displaying something in terms of a response on click is essential, in my opinion. You could even utilise window.status to maybe display a message, something/anything that is *instant* when a user clicks.

Did I read somewhere that this can be forked in GitHub then pushed back. I could try implementing my idea, then @smtalk can either use it or use a modified approach.

Kind regards

Back