example whitelist page?

roly

Verified User
hi

could anyone show me what an example whitelist page for spamblocker should be like?

thanks in advance

roland

Last edited:
In /etc/virtual/whitelist_domains simply list the domains you want to always accept mail from.

In /etc/virtual/whitelist_senders list the email addresses always want to accept mail from.

In /etc/virtual/whitelist_hosts list the ip addresses you always want to accept mail from.

Warning: we no longer recommend whitelisting using whitelist_domains; any domain listed in whitelist_domains can relay through your server.

Instead use either whitelist_senders or whitelist_hosts.

Jeff

In /etc/virtual/whitelist_domains simply list the domains you want to always accept mail from.

In /etc/virtual/whitelist_senders list the email addresses always want to accept mail from.

In /etc/virtual/whitelist_hosts list the ip addresses you always want to accept mail from.

no sorry that's not what i meant i didn't explain myself properly. it says in exim.conf "Email blocked by LBL - to unblock see http://www.example.com/"

obviously i need to replace http://www.example.com with a page of my own. does anyone have a page they can show me an example of?

It needs to be the procedure you have in place to allow the person's email to go through. I should explain why their mail got blocked and what they need to do to either get unblocked or how to get past the block on your particular server.

So have forms to fill out. Some review the information and then whitelist the ip. Some may automatically whitelist the ip when the form is submitted. Some may simply direct them to notify their isp that they are on a blocklist.

What your policy is is up to you. We cannot tell you what you should do because we do not know your abilities are.

I do not have a page at all. The returned blocked email message has the direction in it.

My page is here. DO NOT SEND ANYONE TO MY PAGE; if you do we merely send them a polite email telling them that we don't host the domain and can't whitelist it.

You may use our page as a template with these exceptions: You cannot use the spinning artwork at the top; we don't own it and we have permission to use it, but we do NOT have permission to give you permission to use it.

And you MUST use your own contact information; see above as to what we do when people write us to ask to be unblocked if we don't host them. Do NOT send anyone to the address at spamblocked.net, as that's US.

Note that our policy is extremely liberal; we unblock the sending server of anyone who asks to be unblocked (that's why we have them send us an email rather than use a form, so we know their servername). To receive the email you must make some changes to your exim.conf file; search exim.conf for [email protected]. We unblock the server in the /etc/virtual/whitelist_hosts file.

Even though this may seem too liberal, it generally works (as long as you don't use whitelist_domains) because spammers don't bother to write you.

Jeff

It needs to be the procedure you have in place to allow the person's email to go through. I should explain why their mail got blocked and what they need to do to either get unblocked or how to get past the block on your particular server.

So have forms to fill out. Some review the information and then whitelist the ip. Some may automatically whitelist the ip when the form is submitted. Some may simply direct them to notify their isp that they are on a blocklist.

What your policy is is up to you. We cannot tell you what you should do because we do not know your abilities are.

I do not have a page at all. The returned blocked email message has the direction in it.

understood, that makes sense, thanks :)

My page is here. DO NOT SEND ANYONE TO MY PAGE; if you do we merely send them a polite email telling them that we don't host the domain and can't whitelist it.

You may use our page as a template with these exceptions: You cannot use the spinning artwork at the top; we don't own it and we have permission to use it, but we do NOT have permission to give you permission to use it.

And you MUST use your own contact information; see above as to what we do when people write us to ask to be unblocked if we don't host them. Do NOT send anyone to the address at spamblocked.net, as that's US.

Note that our policy is extremely liberal; we unblock the sending server of anyone who asks to be unblocked (that's why we have them send us an email rather than use a form, so we know their servername). To receive the email you must make some changes to your exim.conf file; search exim.conf for [email protected]. We unblock the server in the /etc/virtual/whitelist_hosts file.

Even though this may seem too liberal, it generally works (as long as you don't use whitelist_domains) because spammers don't bother to write you.

Jeff

thanks jeff for the advice and letting me use your page as a template, i'll obviously follow you stipulations carefully. like you say spammers won't go to the trouble of requesting to be whitelisted. thanks very much :)

Back