Exim 4.89 RC7

DirectAdmin Support

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

It's been reported that exim 4.88 has issues with "chunking".
The exim developers mentioned that the 4.89 RC7 source should fix the issue, but as it's our policy to not use Release Candidates in production use (as isince 4.89 should be released soon), we'll just provide a guide for a temporary workaround.

https://lists.exim.org/lurker/message/20170301.031117.ff024aa8.en.html

CustomBuild does allow overrides for versions, but because we only want this to be temporary, I'd say it's best to just edit the versions.txt directly for now.
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
perl -pi -e 's/^exim:.*/exim:4.89_RC7:3bb86d44209a84a8228050b50266a3bb/' versions.txt
./build exim
The tar.gz file is only on files1 at the moment, but you can manually downloaded to your custombuild directory if needed:
https://ftp.exim.org/pub/exim/exim4/test/exim-4.89_RC7.tar.gz

If there are any significant delays in the release of 4.89, we'll consider pushing 4.89_RC7 as the default version in custombuild.

John

FreeBSD - just a minor issue after the end of the end of the compilation part:

Code:
Configuration file /etc/exim.conf already exists

Exim installation complete
Moving exim binary.
[B][: 89_RC7: bad number
[: 89_RC7: bad number[/B]
Exim 4.89_RC7 Installed.
Restarting exim.
Shutting down exim:     [ OK ]
Starting exim:          [ OK ]

But despite that it runs fine:

Code:
# exim --version
Exim version 4.89_RC7 #1 built 07-Mar-2017 14:48:03
Copyright (c) University of Cambridge, 1995 - 2017
(c) The Exim Maintainers and contributors in ACKNOWLEDGMENTS file, 2007 - 2017
Probably Berkeley DB version 1.8x (native mode)

Last edited:
One offtopic: please add exim.conf 4.5.3 in your versions.txt

Code:
exim.conf 4.5.3 to 4.5.2 update is available.

IMPORTANT: In the exim forums it is clearly stated that:

Please note that we are seeing OpenSSL issues which require 1.0.2
minimum build up in our backlog for fixing after Exim 4.89, so if you
are intending to stick with older OpenSSL releases for the time being,
then Exim 4.89 is probably the last Exim release which will work with
your unsupported-by-OpenSSL-project OpenSSL libraries. You thus have a
Very Strong Interest in ensuring that 4.89 works for you.
Please test this RC.

This is important for FreeBSD 9 users where the OpenSSL library (in the base) is older. You may want to ensure that further versions of Exim will not be delivered on old BSD machines because they will (most probably) not work.

Last edited:
John,

4.89 has now been released.

https://lists.exim.org/lurker/message/20170307.215703.bc9b50b4.en.html

Hello,

It's been reported that exim 4.88 has issues with "chunking".
The exim developers mentioned that the 4.89 RC7 source should fix the issue, but as it's our policy to not use Release Candidates in production use (as isince 4.89 should be released soon), we'll just provide a guide for a temporary workaround.

https://lists.exim.org/lurker/message/20170301.031117.ff024aa8.en.html

CustomBuild does allow overrides for versions, but because we only want this to be temporary, I'd say it's best to just edit the versions.txt directly for now.
Code:
perl -pi -e 's/^exim:.*/exim:4.89_RC7:3bb86d44209a84a8228050b50266a3bb/' versions.txt
./build exim
The tar.gz file is only on files1 at the moment, but you can manually downloaded to your custombuild directory if needed:
https://ftp.exim.org/pub/exim/exim4/test/exim-4.89_RC7.tar.gz

If there are any significant delays in the release of 4.89, we'll consider pushing 4.89_RC7 as the default version in custombuild.

John

Is this normal that all binaries get copied like this?
And is the symlink error ignorable?

cp exim /usr/sbin/exim-4.89-2
/bin/chown root /usr/sbin/exim-4.89-2
chmod a+x /usr/sbin/exim-4.89-2
chmod u+s /usr/sbin/exim-4.89-2
creation of symlink omitted
(NO_SYMLINK is specified in Local/Makefile)
cp /usr/sbin/exim_dumpdb /usr/sbin/exim_dumpdb.O
cp exim_dumpdb /usr/sbin
cp /usr/sbin/exim_fixdb /usr/sbin/exim_fixdb.O
etc.

perl -pi -e 's/^exim:.*/exim:4.89:0dde7b37d44a97cebcdb0cb7036c96b7/' versions.txt
./build exim

My question was about the stable 4.89.2 version. Any idea about it? Can I safely ignore that symlink notice?

version 4.89 it's the last version and it's stable.
try to update cus script and if you have any problem i will help =]

Who are you replying to Ben29? I've got 4.89.2 as last stable version released by DA control panel.

Richard,

4.89 is the latest version that is also in CB. I think what you are referring to in post #8 is the build number (4.89-2). 4.89 is also the latest version on the exim website. I am also curious if it is safe to ignore that symlink error.

Last edited:
Yes indeed the -2 is the build number. But since the RC and build 1 and 2 are released so soon after each other, it seemd wise to me to also refer to the build number. This way preventing people saying things are fixed in the new build.
But you are correct, 4.89 is the latest version.

I hope somebody can comment on that symlink though.

Yes indeed the -2 is the build number. But since the RC and build 1 and 2 are released so soon after each other, it seemd wise to me to also refer to the build number. This way preventing people saying things are fixed in the new build.
But you are correct, 4.89 is the latest version.

I hope somebody can comment on that symlink though.

again there is no version 4.92.2

you should see this output:

Code:
[root@server custombuild]# exim -bV
Exim version 4.89 #2 built 08-Mar-2017 20:46:24

if it's not like what you have. recompile your exim

again there is no version 4.92.2
No I said 4.89.2 not 4.92.2 but if your making such a fuzz about correct notification yes it's 4.89 #2 build.
I already stated in my previous reply which you quoted yourself:
Yes indeed the -2 is the build number.
So please do not quibble if you don't have any answers to my question. It was clear enough what I ment after my last reply.

Exim 4.89

Hello,

We got issues with some mail delivery that was suppose to be related to the chunking in version 4.88.
So we upgraded to version 4.89 with this guide, but still we got issues wit mail delivery. Here is what we get in the log:

2017-03-24 12:39:42 H=mail.n******t.no [213.*.*.*]: SMTP timeout after sending data block (729 bytes written): Connection timed out

We have tried upgrading exim.conf to latest version, but than we got issues on all clients using the server as smtp.
We have also updated openssl to version 1.0.2* with no luck so far.

Any suggestions from you guys?

Thanks

Short follow up from our side.

Even with version 4.89 of Exim, and the lastest exim.conf we still need to add the workaround to get our delivery up running:

Code:
# Work-around for 4.88 bugs: 
chunking_advertise_hosts = 

and in each SMTP Transport, add: 

# Work-around for 4.88 bugs: 
hosts_try_chunking =

So, for us it seems that the chunking has not been fixed in the last version of Exim.

Thanks,

Back