FeatReq: DA Plugin Repository - with plugin-validations, last updated, new version checks, payment-handling etc.

BBM

Verified User
I currently think 'any' available and/or useful plugins for DirectAdmin are now simply "invisible", unless you really go looking for some through search engines.

I know this would be a big thing to build and/or safely incorporate into DA, but, how about creating a dedicated DA Plugin Repository (DAPR), where developers can submit their DA plugins to?

DA-staff would check a plugin's function, security and for possible malware, and validate them (or not) to be made available from the repository, where DA admins can browse and install them through the DA-control panel.
This makes sure that any plugin installed through DA is validated and functions properly (as far as possible for the most setups).

Whenever a developer submits an update to their plugin in the repository, it will be shown in DAPR that there's an update available.
And also when a plugin is not kept uptodate anymore and appears abandonded, DAPR could show a warning the plugin is last updated over an X-amount of month/years ago.

Plugin-developers who might ask for (recurring) payment of their plugin(s) by users who install or activate them, could/should be handled through the DA control panel.
Benefits for the developers AND the DA-admins is that they have to deal with 1 party (DirectAdmin).
DA in turn could ask a small fee in return to keep the DAPR-platform itself uptodate and up and running.
Whenever an DA update is issued, plugin-developers will get notified to check the workings of their plugin, so they can take action if needed to keep their plug(s) working.

I think 'DAPR' could provide a solid and secure base for plugin-developers and admins to trust on and supply plugin for DA all in 1 place.

What do you think?

ditto

Verified User
I think it is a good idea. However I do not see how DirectAdmin could check for malware in all cases, because many plugins uses ioncube encoding. Maybe it should be a requirement that the plugin is not encoded, before it is allowed in DAPR.

BBM

Verified User
I took the idea from projects like Wordpress and phpBB-forums, but php is easier to check perhaps.

Maybe a week or 2 testing 'in quarantine' and checking the plugin's behavior or in/output could provide a reasonable safety check for the repository.
If, by any chance, a plugin starts acting up by doing unsuspected/unwanted things, it would be a nice thing to have it's validility revoked by DAPR so it becomes inactive. But that would probably be 'taking it too far' for the moment.

BBM

Verified User
That's a nice start.
(But how many existing admins ever visit the main website of DirectAdmin anymore?)

I would perhaps suggest to add something like a 'browse repository'-option to DA's existing Plugin Manager-page itself;

Attachments

zEitEr

Super Moderator
Ah, I see what you mean. I believe if we have a good market place for directadmin addons/plugins, then a plugin navigator can be added into directadmin control panel without much issues.