Feature Request - Email all users

CCSI

Verified User
I would like to have the ability to email each and every email account on my DA server (I am the admin) so that I can notify them of planned system down time for upgrades.

I would really appreciate this feature.

If any of you know how to do this now manually, I would sure appreicate the lesson.

Thanks

David

I also started a thread back in January for this request. It is here:

http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1635

Thanks again,

David (CCSI)

Click 'Show All Users', click the top 'select' checkbox so that all users are selected, and then scroll down to the 'Send Message' button and make sure you check the 'Email Only' checkbox.

:)
Matt

Misunderstanding

Matt,

I may not have explained it well enough. That method that you are speaking of will send emails to all the domain users, but not to the individual accounts that the domain user has.

Take for instance:

Admin creates a reseller
reseller creates 10 domain accounts
each domain creates 50 emails each

that creates a total of 500 email accounts. I want to be able to send to all 500, not just the 10.

Hope that made it more clear.

Is there a way? If not, DA - Can you create that feature in your next release?

Thanks

David (CCSI)

Isn't this a bit of a dangerous option?

I'm admin now but when I was a reseller I would have hit the roof if the admin had contacted 'MY' clients??

The way we treat our resellers is that their clients are their clients - we remain invisible unless they wish to disclose us.

The resellers collect the money from the users and I'm sure they would feel threatened if admin started emailing them - as it would disclose the source of their reseller account?

Out of interest what were you thinking of using it for ?

If you really wanted to do it you could just access your reseller accounts individually and send the mail to their users from there.

Dangerous Option

Matrix...

Never thought of it being a dangerous option, but as you explained, I tend to agree with you. I sure wouldn't want anyone bothering my clients either.

The reason for this request is that I wanted to give every single user on my system the "heads up" about the server going down for maintenance, and that their email would not work during that time period.

Having this feature at the reseller level would remove the “danger” and would also work very well.

As admin, you tell the reseller… the reseller is liable to tell his/her individual accounts. That would work well too.

David (CCSI)

Matrix... You said:
"If you really wanted to do it you could just access your reseller accounts individually and send the mail to their users from there."

This only sends it to the domain's main user account, and then they are responsible for sending the message to the individual email accounts under their domain.

I feel that some domain main users will take the time to pass the info on, and some will not. For the ones that don't (normally because they are ignorant users themselves - not meant to slam them) I want to make sure that EVERYONE is informed.

Thanks for responding Matrix!!!

David (CCSI)

Hi yes I see what you mean.

I think your reason shows good intentions but for me if I've informed my resellers of this - frankly it's up to them if they tell their users or not - if they don't then they'll put up with the user phonecalls, emails and most probably loss of confidence in their reseller.. same with the users, if the reseller tells each user it's (usually site admin) then it's up to the user to tell everyone they look after for the same reasons..

On reflection - in pointing out that the suggested system was up for abuse I soon realised that if an admin really wanted to abuse the system they could anyway..

All food for thought!

Rob

So you want to be able to email *all* pop accounts? That's overkill surely. I have several pop accounts personally, so I'd be quite annoyed if I received duplicate emails to each account.

Matt

Matt,

Not to contradict you, but wouldn't you be even madder if you had a deadline to meet, and needed to email something that you have been working on all night long, just to find out that your site admin didn't inform you of a system outage that had been planned for a couple of weeks, and you missed your deadline.

I agree that getting multiple emails about the same thing is annoying, but not getting it at all would really set me off.

I feel it would be a great feature, and a feature that many admins would use.

Thanks for your input none the less.

David (CCSI)

When I need to convey information to clients, I just email the account owners (which can even email accounts underneath resellers). The account owners are the people who pay for the account, and so it's them that need to know.

Matt

Back