First Site

13blue

Verified User
I think this is in the right forum, correct me if I'm wrong and I'll post it elsewhere.

Very new user by the way... I've gotten to the point where I can type www.[I]sitename[/I].com into my browser and get to the "Apache is functioning normally" message.

I have created a reseller package in DA but when I try and create the first reseller with my sitename.com I get an error that the domain has already been used. Do I need to have 2 domains to get DA working properly from an Administrators point of view, and where do I put my index.html file for my sitename.com?

I hope I've explained my problem well enough, let me know if I need to give further details.

For future reference: Specifics are worth more than condescension.

Your answer assumes that I haven't been reading. One of the problems is that site-helper is written for a former version or a different skin and the tutorials/ instructions rarely match up.

I has taken two months to figure out this system and to get where I am today. Just to let you know, site-helper is my first resource. I have read extensively. When I don't find an answer there I come here to beg of the community before weighing down DA support staff.

If you need help with specifics check http://bertboan.com where even a newbie can figure out the more advanced.

Specifics are worth more than condescension.

I am only condescending when people ask for help with a domain but then give us fake domains. The logic of doing such a thing escapes me. If you want specifics then you are the one that has to start with that. Give us specifics and we will give you specifics. This is a volunteer help forum. Be glad you get answers at all even if they are condescending. Condescending is not a bad thing. If the ones with the answers did not condescend then people with lesser knowledge would never get answers. We would just keep them to ourselves. Be glad people condescend to give answers.

Your answer assumes that I haven't been reading.

Ok then I guess then by your answer you did read the installation instructions and did not use www.sitename.com as the hostname when you installed DirectAdmin. Is this true? What does the Server's Hostname say under Administrator Settings?

where do I put my index.html file for my sitename.com?

This IS answered in site-helper.com. That is why I referred to it. http://www.site-helper.com/uploading.html

If you need help with specifics check http://bertboan.com

I do not know what this link has to do with anything. Is this your site that you are having problems with? If not then you need to read this again http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/dont-obscure-your-dns-data.html

Be glad you get answers at all even if they are condescending.
I will never be glad to get a condescending answer because I would never give one. Not even if I was an expert in a forum and was tired of people asking "stupid" questions. Once you make your living doing contract work where if you treat people like idiots they don't call you back... it breaks you of any attitude that doesn't put food on the table.
I give a fake url because I'm assuming that the setup is the same for every site that uses DA and I gave you the specific message I got when I put in my IP address. As for specifics, how about I give you my IP, admin username, and password? Then I could just have you do it all for me.

did not use www.sitename.com as the hostname when you installed DirectAdmin
You are correct, I did not. Because, I did not do the installation. I opted to have the good folks at DA do it. If I had I probably still would have thought that www.sitename.com was an example/placeholder for my actual domain name. My Server's Hostname is listed as my servers hostname ITSweb.server.local

Your original post
You need to spend some time reading the site-helper.com site too.

http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoyn...-dns-data.html
I don't understand what this page has to do with my site, I'm not obscuring any DNS data. If there is something I should change about my setup then an answer directing me to an article about DA would be more helpful. Thanks Floyd, from now on I'll take my questions to support so I don't bother you. I would think that if you're annoyed by us newbs then you wouldn't hang out here, unless you are trolling for a place to assert your assumed authority.
Thanks, have a great day.

where if you treat people like idiots

That is not what condescending means. And I did not treat you like an idiot either. Let's try to stay focused on the question and not take things so personally. I merely stated facts.

I'm not obscuring any DNS data.

Yes you are. Where in your previous posts did you give us your domain name so that we could check to see if we can find the problem?

My Server's Hostname is listed as my servers hostname ITSweb.server.local

You cannot use that as a hostname. The hostname must be a fully qualified domain.

If there is something I should change about my setup then an answer directing me to an article about DA would be more helpful.

I directed you to site-helper.com where the answer to where you should place the index file is located.

No back to the original problem since now you have provided some decent information needed however not all the information needed.

First click Show All Users and do a search for your domain name. I would tell you exactly what to search for but you still have not provided the domain name. I really do not think sitename.com belongs to you. If you cannot find the domain name there then go to DNS Administration and search for it there, locate it, and then delete it. Then add the domain under the user for which you want the domain. Follow the directions from site-helper about uploading your site.

If you want further help from anyone then give us your domain. Perhaps there is something else wrong. But we cannot know for sure unless you give that to us.

My domain is itswebhosts.com it resolves to the html file on my server that says:
"Apache is functioning normally"
It is usning two godaddy nameservers in the DNS settings, I changed the itsweb.server.local to itswebhosts.com , no change, still takes me to the same page.

where you should place the index file is located
I don't have a /public_html folder, I've submitted a request to DA support asking if that should have been there from their installation. I don't want to change something on the server that could mess up my install, the only changes I want to make are in DA so I know that they can be corrected. I'm not a Linux admin so I don't take chances.

Floyd, Sitehelper.com has 16 links and most of them have several links within. That's like sending my mom to Home Depot and telling her I need a "valve" she doesn't know what she needs so she asks someone who knows the store for help and they walk her to the plumbing section they don't just leave her their, they walk her to the parts, ask what she's working on and say, "here is what you need." They don't go home and do the work for her, they just hand her the part she needs. Make sense? I'm a member of a lot of forums and an expert on many things PC related. I'm not a web admin, and this is my first time dealing with DA.

So, what else do you need me to tell you about my setup?

I changed the itsweb.server.local to itswebhosts.com

Again you have not read the installation instructions. Can I just say you need to read the instructions or do I have to find the link for you? You must read the instructions in order to set the hostname properly.

I don't have a /public_html folder

You won't until you add the domain properly and you cannot do that until you read the installation instructions on setting the hostname and do as I said before about deleting it from DNS Admin.

Floyd, Sitehelper.com has 16 links and most of them have several links within. That's like sending my mom to Home Depot and telling her I need a "valve" she doesn't know what she needs

That is not really a good illustration since your question was "where do I put my index.html" and right there on the front page of site-helper.com is a link directly related to your question which says "home (index.html) file." So to use your illustration it would be like sending mom to Home Depot pick up a valve and right there on the front of the building is "value, aisle 12."

13blue,

While you might find the subject matter of this knowledgebase article a bit misleading, it will explain how to choose a valid hostname.

Jeff

I changed the itsweb.server.local to itswebhosts.com

From the installation instructions:

Important: The hostname should not be the same as the primary domain name. e.g. gary.com is not a good hostname, where server.gary.com is. Having the same host/main domain name will cause e-mail and FTP problems. Also, please make sure the hostname resolves once you setup DNS.

13blue you did exactly what they told you not to do.

Back