Forward and then delete e-mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvdg27

Verified User
Hi,

I'm looking for a way to do the following:

when an e-mail is received in sales@.. I want to forward it to info@.. Consequently I want to delete the e-mail from the sales@.. to prevent storing e-mails double on the system.

How do I do this?

Cheers, Michiel

i tried this - ie i deleted the email account but left the forwarder in place. sometimes this works and sometimes i get an error when sending an email to the deleted account that the user doesnt exist. could this have anything to do with the CATCHALL account, or the fact that some of my tests were sent from a gmail and some from other email accounts?

It shouldn't matter where the email comes from. It should work properly for all virtual email addresses. If it's not working you should check the exim mainlog file. If it's not your server you need to contact your hosting provider.

Presuming you're the server administrator: did you make any changes to your exim.conf file?

We recommend NOT using catchall. I think everyone else does, too. If you use it, it simply delivers mail for which there is no mailbox and no forwarder. If there is either or both it's ignored.

Jeff

delete forward mail with mailbox

Hello,
For some mails i can delete the mailbox and just use forward,
but for some mail i need a mailbox (real user) and forward the mail.

I use online exchange from my company (office 365) , but i let the mail of 1 mailbox forward to my exchange mail box.
but i can only send mails form my company exchanges if it has a account (pop3/imap/...) connectect .

so if i would delete de mailbox for a account i want to send as from my comany exhange if have a error the this user does not work, and than ik can not send mail anymore in de name of this user true my company exchange !

so is there a way to delete forward mail from mailbox ? without deleting the mailbox ?
the settings are automaticly set of the exchange to ssl 993 for a user enter.
i think it is imap4 with ssl,

Thanks..

Hello,
For some mails i can delete the mailbox and just use forward,
but for some mail i need a mailbox (real user) and forward the mail.

I use online exchange from my company (office 365) , but i let the mail of 1 mailbox forward to my exchange mail box.
but i can only send mails form my company exchanges if it has a account (pop3/imap/...) connectect
Are you saying that Exchange requires you have a pop3/imap account somewhere else besides on Exchange? You should be able to set up an account only on Exchange.

But if you cannot (I'm not an expert on Exchange) then you need to delete the email on the DirectAdmin server but keep the account.

Note I've tested this on the latest version of DirectAdmin at the time of this writing, if you don't see the same choices I do, then be sure to update DirectAdmin.

Be very careful as the below instructions will delete email, and the process IS NOT REVERSIBLE. Your email will be lost forever (you can restore it from a backup) if you make the wrong selections.

From your userlevel login to DirectAdmin click on E-Mail Accounts.

Then salect the mailbox or mailboxes from which you want to delete all emails.

At the bottom of the screen you'll find a Purge From button; before pressing it see the first drop-down selection (which by default is Spambox) and change it to Inbox. The next drop-down selection is by default All E-Mail but you can change it if you want. Then click on Purge From when you're sure you're purging what you want to purge. Note that this can take a long time if you're purging a lot of email.

Best to do this while no email clients are logged in, to keep the indexes synchronized with the mailbox content.

Good luck and be sure to not make an error and delete something you need to keep.

If you have a mailbox and a forwarder for [email protected], then mail will end up in both places.

If you delete your [email protected] mailbox, but leave the forwarder, the email will be forwarded to [email protected], but will never be saved in [email protected], because [email protected] won't exist.

Jeff

I know this is an old thread but my problem is related to the above quoted scenario.

I did the similar to the above, but now how do I undo the orphaned forward ?
In the example above, I want to again create a new mailbox "sales" with email "[email protected]"
Yes I can do that, but incoming emails to "[email protected]" are being forwarded to "[email protected]".
Even though in EMC no forwarding is in place, and using Powershell to show all forwards shows nothing.

thanks- Andy

Wow, its always something stupid.
The ISP whom the email was flowing through and previously did email hosting many years ago, still had some forwards in place. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back