FreeBSD 5.2?

We just installed today with the new install scripts on 5.1 before they announced 5.2. I think we will stay with 5.1 for a few weeks to a month, once it runs perfectly on 5.1, cvsup the system to 5.2 and see if it breaks anything.

But if it runs on 5.1 fine, there is no real reason I can see why it won't run on 5.2 fine. I see no changes between the two that would effect DA.

Xuru,

You had me going crazy...I was thinking 5.2 was still in beta. I just checked out the FreeBSD website and here is what I found:

• Full Tier-1 support for single and multiprocessor AMD Athlon64 and Opteron systems.
  • Dynamically linked root partition for a smaller installation footprint and better integration with the Name Service Switch subsystem.
  • New and improved driver support for IDE, SATA, and 802.11a/b/g devices, and significantly better integration with the ACPI power management subsystem.
  • Client support for the Network File System version 4 protocol.
  • Experimental first-stage support for multithreaded filtering and forwarding of IP traffic. This also provides the foundation for a fully multi-threaded network stack in the next release of FreeBSD.
  • In-box support for the latest Gnome 2.4 and KDE 3.1 desktops.

Everyone running 5.x should not have a problem and should be able to cvsup to 5.2 with DirectAdmin. I know their was not many major changes.

Last edited:
Yes but it is not perfect yet, expect a few issues :) Read more by searching the this forum.

Not sure what you are asking. The forum should probably read FreeBSD 5.x. I am positive after all this work they are not going to just support 5.0, 5.1. Keep in mind that 5.2 is a brand new release and when beta testing started 5.2 was not a release candidate.

If you are asking if it worked on 1.2.x yes it does. There are issues with the 5.x series as well as other issues that are specific to 5.2.

My basic question was will 5.2 be worked on here as well since there are not that many differences (mainly just program version upgrades and a few other things).

I've got DA running on FreeBSD 5.2 overhere (with some special *static* packages from John).

Works just as well as 5.1 :)

Back