freebsd 6 is out.

pfft

Verified User
freebsd6 is out, 4.x has been dropped. 5.x is the new legacy series. Does this mean freebsd 6 will be supported under DirectAdmin and 5.x will be moved out of "beta" ?

if they have dropped security updates for 4.10 and 4.11 which still had lifeline left, I think that is a bad move considering there are still good reasons for some people to use 4.x.

On 6.0 tho I think 5.4 should certianly no longer be marked as beta by DA, last I heard jasman was contacting john concerning this but no update since. 6.0 in thoery should have no problem since it is very similiar to 5.4 but as always with new versions that should be used with caution.

Hello,

Currently all 4.x and 5.x are out of beta. Debian is also out of beta. We don't yet have a FreeBSD 6 box to build DA on (we'll get one shortly). The only thing that is in beta at the moment is ES 4.1 64-bit, but there don't appear to be any visible issues.

The most current place to check the status of the OS's would be on the "order license" page. It will show the OS's and their status if in beta.

John

Thanks for the clarification, John.

I'll reorder and/or rename the forums and subforms as time permits (unless you get to it first :) ).

Jeff

A few people have suggested freebsd website is incorrect as different language's still show 4.x as legacy and not dropped. Simply some kind of mistake made I guess we will find out over the next week or so.

On 6.0 I plan to test it but only on a box at home so it wont have DA and there is limited things I can test, I will also then install 5.4 on that box and see how I go doing a 5.4 to 6.0 upgrade without needing console.

are we able to just buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, installworld to get to this next release? Anyone tried?

yes it should work and thats what I intend to test, but someone somewhere said that single user mode is needed for this particular upgrade which is why I intend to test it before I dive in doing it on network boxes.

FreeBSD 6 works with DA without problems

I can confirm that the DA build for FreeBSD 5.3 runs smoothly on FreeBSD 6.0. I performed the following tests:

1) upgrade FreeBSD using:

vi standard_supfile
default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6_0
cvsup standard_supfile
mergemaster -p
make buildworld
make buildkernel
make installkernel
make installworld
mergemaster
<reboot>

Came back smoothly. Only one minor issue: installworld fails when /tmp is set to noexec in fstab. you have to temporarily remove the flag and remount.

2) Launched DA. No problems there.
3) Added and removed a subdomain. Works.
4) Created and removed an FTP account. Works.
5) Created and removed a database. Works.
6) Created and removed an e-mail account. Works.
7) Sent a mail. Received a mail. Works and works.

Remember to remove portsnap and freebsd-sha256 using pkg_delete as they are now part of the base distribution (and portsnap is 10x faster. yay!)

Happy upgrading.
Floris

Last edited:
Instead of removing the noexec in fstab if it is set you can just run this command as root:

export TMPDIR=/somewhere/else/tmpdir

Where the path is somewhere that isn't noexec is fstab. It works fine for installworld every time I have used it.

Steve

noexec has always had to be removed its not a new thing in 6.0

good someone is reporting a succesful remote upgrade. :)

I didn't know :)

I didn't know. Thought it's a good idea to pass the information to others who don't know :)

Still running smoothly.

Floris

We have a machine upgraded and its killing sshd at irregular intervals so at this time I dont reccomend doing it.

I upgraded already many boxes to 6.0 and no probs at all. Also this has to do nothing with DirectAdmin. So if SSH gives troubles, recompile sshd, don't blame a whole operating system for it.

It was happening with the base sshd, which was recompiled during the buildworld. As soon as I disabled sshd monitoring in the services.status file the problem was fixed. As I said this is my experience on one box I didnt say it will happen to everyone.

--edit--

I am not blaming an operating system for it, ssh on v6 is stable, but something is triggering DA to run the sshd restart script after we upgraded to 6.0 I hope that makes it clear what I was saying now.

Last edited:
Doesn't happen here

It doesn't happen here.

Last edited:
Back