Fresh install but some basics not installed and yum.conf excluded

Spook

Verified User
Hi,

A CentOS 6 system I have with a virgin DA install on it apparently didn't have some of the basics already installed.

The /etc/yum.conf shows:

exclude=apache* httpd* mod_* mysql* MySQL* da_* *ftp* exim* sendmail* php* bind-chroot*

..which I gather is added during the DA install?

The issue is that I don't have /usr/bin/ftp installed.

Despite ftp being insecure and all, I'd like to install it since presumably /usr/bin/ftp is what the system backup (sysbk) -> Use remote transfer will want to use.

Is temporarily removing the yum.conf *ftp* exclude, then installing ftp with yum the way I should go about this or is there something in the DA install or custom build that would acquire a particular ftp client?

..or perhaps modifying this feature or using an alternate script using rsync?

You can likely do as you as you suggest, but I don't believe sysbk uses ftp; I think it uses ncftp. I've just checked and my machiens also exclude *ftp* and also don't have ftp installed, but they do have ncftp installed. I've written John at DirectAdmin to look at this thread; hopefully he can tell us how ncftp gets installed.

Jeff

Back when I installed CentOS 6 for the first time, it took me a while to figure out.. they've moved it to a different rpm, eg:
Code:
[root@es6 ~]# which ftp
/usr/kerberos/bin/ftp
[root@es6 ~]# rpm -qf /usr/kerberos/bin/ftp
krb5-appl-clients-1.0.1-7.el6_2.1.i686
[root@es6 ~]#
so to install the "ftp" client, you'd type:
Code:
yum install krb5-appl-client
John

You are right Jeff. ncftp from command line executes where ftp is 'not found' -- didn't really figure to look for another way to use ftp than type ftp..

I have been testing the backup -> remote transfer option between 2 DA systems and noticed ncftp folders had been created. Didn't really follow what was happening.

Since my only concern was for the remote transfer, I should have known its' requirements were met after DA installation. So, in light of this, thanks the information John on the solution to 'ftp' not found -- I feel silly in hindsight that I thought installing FTP for the DA feature was on me to do.

Back