Full system backup question

DamnSkippy

Verified User
When configuring a full system backup under admin user it is a little unclear to me if the directories you can select at the bottom are part of the default of the full system backup at the top.

In other words if in the area where you select the path for the backup you select everything in that area as to be backed up do you still need to select the individual directories at the bottom? Or are those there so you can just select the ones you want if you do not want them all?

I did a search and looked at the site helper site. The site helper has nothing on backups for any user other than user and I did not find an answer here.

They really need to update the site helper content as it seems pretty old from what I looked at.

The backup path is where the system is going to put the backup, either permanently or temporarily, depending on other settings. It has nothing to do with what gets backed up.

That's the stuff at the bottom.

Jeff

Sorry Jeff I was not clear in my question I guess. I said something about the path only to give a relative place to look on the screen, I was not confused about the path part.

My question was if you click everything in the area around where the path is do you need to click any of the stuff at the bottom? Are the selections at the bottom only if you want to backup a selection of specific directories or are they something you need to select to get an actual full system backup?

From looking at it it seems like I need to select everything at the bottom plus the stuff at the top by the path. But it is not clear if selecting all the stuff at the top includes the stuff at the bottom or not.

Does that make any sense?

Now I understand...

I recommend both. The top stuff runs the standard backup stuff originally designated in the configuration file when sysbk was written for CPanel; the bottom stuff was added to make sure everything DA needs gets backed up as well; it's the stuff sysbk calls custom. I recommend additions to custom when I have a problem; it's pretty good by now, though I don't guarantee it'll work for you.

The default gives you a bit of duplication; frankly, I don't care and I haven't taken the time to study it and clean it up.

If I can get permission I'm going to use it as a base for a complete commercial DA bu/restore system, but I need to get permission from the author and take the time.

Jeff

Cool I want a system so I can make a full backup, format the server (or otherwise wipe the system), install base OS and Directadmin (updated version of OS allowed would be nice but might be hard to pull off), then go into DA admin hit restore and after a bit of hard drive churning everything is back to where it was.

So if you make it that is my .02 worth :)

If we limit it to a particular OS we know well, it won't be a problem, and we'll even be able to allow updates within the same whole number. (In our preferred system, CentOS/WBEL/RHEL, it's actually easy since yum/up2date automates sub-number updates.)

But then the question is how much have we limited the market.

Not to mention that I may not be able to get permission from the author of sysbk to create a commercial solution from it.

Jeff

Back