greetingcard email spam?

TMMM

Verified User
What type of configuration have any of you taken to block these types of new emails circulating?

What is the best way to update spamassasin?
As far as I can note, the best way to do this would be the command "sa-update && service spamassassin restart" (without the quotes). Although I just want to make sure I'm doing the update the correct way without harming anything in the system?

Thank you for your input
-Tom

Last edited:
ASSP and single message scoring kills them all.

..but this is only one of the messages going around. PDF spam is even more popular at the moment.

What type of configuration have any of you taken to block these types of new emails circulating?

What is the best way to update spamassasin?
As far as I can note, the best way to do this would be the command "sa-update && service spamassassin restart" (without the quotes). Although I just want to make sure I'm doing the update the correct way without harming anything in the system?

Thank you for your input
-Tom

I think SA-UPDATE does not need a service spamassassin restart?

Enable SpamBlocker in your EXIM and or add additional RBLs and URIBLs to your SA configuration.

Other things that help are these two plugins:
BOTNET - turn the scores down to 1 or 2 at most or it will cause false positives.
SAGREY - a bit like greylisting but using SA's AWL

You could also add the SARE (rulesemporium) additional rule sets.

This other ruleset may help:
http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/antispam/postcards.cf

Also the SaneSecurity definitions for Clam Antivirus are very good (either in Exim or using the ClamAV plugin for Spamassassin).

Hunt through this forum, the Nabble Spamassassin forum, and use google, and you should find help on how to do all this... I have learned a LOT over the last few months, and I started out a novice with both spamassassin, and linux in general.

Thank you for your input, I will look into those things further.

Back