Have the option to select what to install ?

Have the option to select what to install ?

• NO, not needed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Duboux

Verified User
As I second this post:
Will the config file for custombuild allow you to specify which programs, phpMyAdmin, SquirrelMail, Roundcube, etc. get installed? I have not installed RoundCube on my server, since it is still beta software and also the enhanced skin does not have any link for it. So, can we optionally select whether any of these get installed or not?
No, there is no option to select. I don't know if it's really needed :) You can create a poll for it. Thank you.

Currently the custombuild script updates/installes alot, unasked.
(Apache, php, mysql, zend, proftpd, roundcubemail, etc..)

Other similar scripts, like wael's all-in-one update script gives you the option to install/upgrade what you whish.

Last edited:
I like the option to select the items to install, before installation.

And I felt my heart beat after I ran that script on a box without knowing it would upgrade everything (all successfull though ;))

I vote for the option as well, as CustomBuild is so much more inclusive than is CustomApache.

Jeff

What options do you want to have? :) May you imagine how options.conf file should look like (with all the options)?

I don't know how easy this is, Martynas, but how about a line for version number for each installation, and use the digit 0 (zero) if you don't want it installed.

Will that work?

Jeff

Yes, it's possible. I just thought to add something like
Code:
squirrelmail=yes/no
roundcube=yes/no
etc. But I don't know what options do you really want to have :) That's why I asked for a full options.conf file :)

Drop Frontpage to start with. Even Resellerclub is dropping it like a bad habbit and many other hosting companies no longer offer this menace.

And if you drop it there'll be lots of companies that won't be able to use CustomBuild.

Pucky you can't just presume that eveyone's needs are the same as yours.

Jeff

From now options.conf will look like (with CustomBuild 1.1.4 (defaults)):
#PHP settings. default_php possible values - 4 or 5
default_php=5
php4_cli=no
php4_cgi=no
php5_cli=yes
php5_cgi=no

#Possible values - 5.0 or 5.1 (4.1 is possible too, but it's EOL)
mysql_inst=yes
mysql=5.0

#Possible values - 1.3, 2.0 or 2.2
apache_ver=2.2

#Web applications
phpmyadmin=yes
squirrelmail=yes
roundcube=yes

#Mail options
mail-header-patch=yes
dovecot=yes

#Other options
clean=yes
proftpd=yes
What do you think about it? :)

I think this would be fine:

Code:
#PHP settings, default_php possible values - 4 or 5
default_php=5
php4_cli=no
php4_cgi=no
php5_cli=yes
php5_cgi=no

#MySQL settings, mysql possible values - 5.0 or 5.1 (4.1 is possible too, but it's EOL)
mysql_inst=yes
mysql=5.0

#Apache settings, apache_ver possible values - 1.3, 2.0 or 2.2
apache_ver=2.2

#Web application settings
phpmyadmin=yes
squirrelmail=yes
roundcube=yes

#Mail application settings
mail-header-patch=yes
dovecot=yes

#FTP settings
proftpd=yes

#Custombuild settings
clean=yes

Is custombuild going to update exim and the exim configuration files? Also, will it update other things like SpamAssassin and FrontPage Extensions (I know it's EOL)? I know there are currently ways to do these, but it would be great if it could all be managed with one system. :)

You can't update FrontPage Extensions; no updates have been available for years.

Jeff

Sorry, I was only using that as an example. :) What I should have put was Zend. If you can update Zend with custombuild, then there should be an option to select whether it gets installed/updated. I didn't mean to confuse anyone. :) Maybe something like:

Code:
#PHP settings, default_php possible values - 4 or 5
default_php=5
php4_cli=no
php4_cgi=no
php5_cli=yes
php5_cgi=no
zend=yes

Yes, FrontPage Extensions hasn't been updated for years :) About exim configuration files - you can do that. About exim - it takes much time to compile exim from the source, and RPM or DEB packages aren't made very often (for the latest version). SpamAssassin is not added, because by default, for the first time it requires user input.

I just changed it to:
Code:
#PHP settings. default_php possible values - 4 or 5
default_php=5
php4_cli=no
php4_cgi=no
php5_cli=yes
php5_cgi=no
zend=no

#Possible values - 5.0 or 5.1 (4.1 is possible too, but it's EOL)
mysql_inst=yes
mysql=5.0

#Possible values - 1.3, 2.0 or 2.2
apache_ver=2.2

#Web applications
phpmyadmin=yes
squirrelmail=yes
roundcube=yes

#Mail options
mail-header-patch=yes
dovecot=yes
eximconf=yes

#FTP options
proftpd=yes

#Custombuild options
clean=yes

If you want to get 1.1.5 version, you can get it from http://www.servermonkeys.com/projects/els/directadmin/build.

No more suggestions? :) I think that we have enough options now :)

You can upgrade them using yum on RedHat based systems and apt-get on Debian systems.

This might be beyond the scope of this thread, but I thought I'd brng it up since it would be a new option. Jeff, you or anyone else with the proper access, may feel free to move my post if you want to.

I'd like to see an option added to custombuild that would check each night, or whatever cron schedule DA deems necessary, to see if there are updated build tools or applications that the build tool updates/installs. Then, take that information and produce an update report that gets sent to the server administrator or the root level account.

Installatron does this with it's update and it's nice to know what's been updated so you know if you need to run the build script at all. I probably wouldn't go as far right now and to run a full update using cron, but at least create a report that indicates what needs updated.

That e-mail might look something like this:

Code:
Subject: Notification: Updated System Applications Report

This is an automated e-mail from DirectAdmin CustomBuild.

The following system applications can now be updated:

Exim 4.68
PHP 4.4.7

Upgrading a working install has risks; however, the new version(s) may
contain bug and security fixes.

End of report.

What do you think?

Back