Have you tried cPGuard/opsshield for directadmin?

lowprofile

Verified User
Hi,

Would like hear some review about this software. Anyone tried? will checkout their trial, but maybe someone already have some experience?
I am esspecially interested about the performance impact vs CSF or other firewall. and does it do the job properly?

I use it on one of my VPS (under DA with apache) and I am quite satisfied,
The rules used are those of "malware expert" and are more effective than that of Comodo.
In addition, you have the possibility of using the various RBLs (for Exim) and informs you in case the IP address is blacklisted.
Also works under openlitespeed
I also use it under cPanel, the only functionality which is not yet implemented under DA is the possibility of automatically suspending the accounts which have viruses (number of viruses for the triggering of the functionality is configurable)

You can test it (for a month) for free on their site

is full of errors and does not even recognize the IPs in DA, runs better on CP servers. apparently the manufacturer's support doesn't care. the malware expert rules are good

is full of errors and does not even recognize the IPs in DA, runs better on CP servers. apparently the manufacturer's support doesn't care. the malware expert rules are good
+1 to all of this.
Mailed the developer my concerns Sunday night... Their response? Send us the logs
Well, given that this was a freshly launched DA server (cent7), I basically told them where to stick it.

If you're not going to actually test on software, don't bother saying you support it.
Devs couldn't even figure out how to check dependencies and verify they're installed (or install, if not).
Talk about a joke

Hello from OpsShield,

We agree that on some servers the installation fails but it is not a generic case. We have extensively tested it on various platforms and keep updating the software as much as we can to get it working flawlessly. We have hundreds of customers using the software with their DA server without any problem. There is no real point in saying "we do not care" unless there is something that you can show as a proof. We handle each tickets with high priority and glad to patiently work with each to find a solution.

Kindly provide us the details as we never heard such an issue before. In fact the IP detection method is same for DA and cPanel...we will be more than happy to check it for you if you can contact our support team and provide details. It may be related to PHP 7.4 if you have it but if that is the case, from version 3.26 we support PHP 7.4 with DA. So the latest version should fix such issues.

If you're not going to actually test on software, don't bother saying you support it.
Devs couldn't even figure out how to check dependencies and verify they're installed (or install, if not).
Talk about a joke

Yeah it's really a joke when people think that software should run without any bugs/issues when it has to support many platforms. And it's more than that when they start a conversation with some abusive words with no reason.

We can still claim that we support DirectAdmin servers ( as long as we do not see any issues in our tests and we can support 100+ servers without any major complaints ) but we never claim that there will not be any errors ever. There can be issues and our team is always happy to work on them and release a fix.

LOL, gotta love it when devs come in here and try to defend their laziness.

You couldn't even be bothered to write a script to figure out if necessary libraries were installed BEFORE your script was installed (and install them if not)

You couldn't even be bothered to test your system on a default (out of box) CentOS DA install (likely one of the most popular installs)

If you had done so, you would find that your script doesn't work, at all.
If you had done so, you would have seen that you have some very default PHP issues

The fact is that you're slacking, and can't actually do your jobs properly.

LOL, gotta love it when devs come in here and try to defend their laziness.

You couldn't even be bothered to write a script to figure out if necessary libraries were installed BEFORE your script was installed (and install them if not)

You couldn't even be bothered to test your system on a default (out of box) CentOS DA install (likely one of the most popular installs)

If you had done so, you would find that your script doesn't work, at all.
If you had done so, you would have seen that you have some very default PHP issues

The fact is that you're slacking, and can't actually do your jobs properly.

I do not want to debate here because there is no point in doing it with persons who REALLY think that everything works without any issue. I even understand that you can fix the issues in your software using some Blackmagic when there are isolated issues.

We have enough checks in our script..it may not be the best for you but we did enough things there. ..Regarding the PHP error, what you need to understand is that the support lacked only for PHP 7.4. Ioncube released the stable release on 29 Jun which had issues and then missed the latest release on 13th July. We have released support for same in July 24 which is the best we could do.

We have tested our software enough with all our resources...Your specific issue could have fixed easily if you were ready to give us some details...it would have taken less time than you replied in the ticket ( in such a bad way ) or the time you spent to post such things in the forum. I am not even sure why you keep spreading such a false news that the "software does not work" even if we were gentle in the whole conversation ( refer: http://opsshield.com/images/cpg_tik1.png )

Anyway good luck ..KEEP MESSING WITH OTHERS

Last edited:
Any video demo? Here are security packages that my server is currently have right now:

Mod security + Lynis + rkhunter + chrootkit + clamav + maldet + suricata (with IPS capability) + csf + Directadmin Bruteforce Monitor + AIDE (for system) + Tripwire (for front websites).

My question is, is there any extra features that cpguard is offering compared to the above ?

Hello, There is no official vide demo, unfortunately. The core feature of cPGuard includes real-time and scheduled file scanning, IP/Domain reputation checks, WAF ( ModSec ) rules powered by Malware.Expert commercial rules set, Captcha protection to stop bot attacks against certain URLs ( user defined list ), Wordpress/Joomla brute-force protection, Rootkit check and alerts, symbolic link detection and processing etc. The whole system is more to secure the web apps than OS . You can find more details at https://www.opsshield.com/cpguard-features/ and you can test it using 30 days free trial.

WE have been using it for some time and all I can say is support has always been very helpful, polite and quick to fix any issues we had.

Its protected our websites and in my view easier to use than others, such as imunify and more cost effective.

Just remember it is always good to have alternatives, rather than just relying on the big brands.... :D

cpguard is good. i have used it since i still used cpanel. i love their support.
cpguard have supported openlitespeed. you just need to install ols with modsecurity. you must disable any rules when enable modsecurity before enable WAF on cpguard.

Last edited:
I hope they create a plugin for JetBackup to auto restore websites or to save the last good backup if infection is detected.

Back