Help with Exim port 25 SMTP Auth Issue

sld2349

Verified User
Hello,

I have a Ubuntu 20.04 dedicated server running the latest version of DA and Exim 4.96. I've been having an ongoing issue with the following errors in the exim rejectlog

2022-08-18 14:21:57 login authenticator failed for IP.somehostname [IP]: 535 Incorrect authentication data (set_id=[email protected]).

These errors are coming in big waves then they stop for a while and start up again. I have tried a few things that I've found here on the forums and elsewhere as well as in the DA documentation and none of them are stopping the problem. CSF is blocking them, but I don't think having my IP tables full of 1000+ IPs is a great solution since most of them probably don't even know they're involved. I did try starting over at one point with the IP tables and the whole thing just started over, so I'm kind of stuck.

I also have a VPS server which is the same setup as this one, and the exact same thing was happening there. I managed to finally get it to stop by using the SMTP AUTH RESTRICT feature built into CSF. That is fine on that server because no one needs to log into mail but me.

The problem is on my dedicated server I have customers, so I can't use the code CSF provides to put into "exim.variables.conf.custom" since it seems to block SMTP AUTH on all ports.

So, I'm wondering if there's a way to make the CSF provided code for exim so it will only block SMTP AUTH on port 25.

If that isn't a good solution for me, I'm open to suggestions. If anyone is interested I can provide more information privately if needed.

I also have no idea what something like this costs so I'll need to know that too.

Thank you.

I'm not sure how to delete this post, but the issue has been resolved if a moderator wants to delete it. Thank you.

Posts are not deleted. If they are solved, verified users can change the tag to solved.
In your case, it will go down by itself because nobody will reply to it anymore. So just ignore the post and all will be fine. ;)

Back