Hope you can provide a manual for directadmin

newbies

Verified User
OK I know you have three help file for admin, reseller and user. However those files only explain how to do things item by item without providing a sequence of procedures for creating a user, setup ip and DNS and get a website running, ie, do this first, then do that. I am really confused because there are 3 levels of interfaces, admin, reseller and user.

wish you can compile a file giving step by step instructions, which will make our life much easier.

Thanks for reply. I have read the site and am still confused.

Last edited:
As John or Mark said previously "it takes a genious to understand its simplicity" what level are you on (admin / reseller / end user and I will take you through adding a domain :)

Chris

Thank you Chris!

I am admin/reseller/user. I got a VPS, 2 IPs and 2 domains. I am not really going to resell my space in the future but may host some friend's site. I have create a reseller and user account for myself.

IP and domain question:
Right now, I want one of my domain to use one of the IPs exclusively and the other domain to share the other IP with potential domains in the future.

DNS question:
My host company provides DNS server, should I use their server or set up my own server, what's the pro and cons?

I appreciate your help.

Hello,

use the 2nd non-server IP and assign it to yourself for your own domain with the exclusive ip
1) admin panel -> IP Manager -> select the IP -> select "admin" and click "assign to". This will assign "admin"s Reseller portion the IP.

2) Reseller Panel -> List/Modify Users -> Modify Your own user data -> Set IP to (select the 2nd non-server IP) and click "Save". This will give only your domain use of that IP.

The 1st "server" IP will then be used for the shared hosting.

I recommend you use the built in DNS functionality of DirectAdmin. The main reason is that DA will set it all up for each domain that you create automatically. If you were to use a 2nd dns server, you'd have to manually enter all the domain information on the 2nd server for every domain and subdomain etc. you create.

John

Back