How can I tell if my nameservers are setup correctly?

sde

Verified User
I setup a new DA server back in April, but this is the first time we're adding a new domain to it.

The problem is that this new domain name will not resolve to our servers.

I have 2 NS records, and an A record for each name. (just like my other system)

I have defined the 2 nameservers with ENOM.

I can ping ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com and the IPs resolve correctly.

I use OpenDNS at home and when it doesn't resolve it gives me the option to check which nameservers are failing. It lists my nameserver with returned (NORECORDS) after it.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:
here's the output of some nameserver test i found online. i'm not sure what to make of it.
Error: Nameserver test failed
Info: Test on hosts for domain 'rolandmusiced.com'
Note: Nameserver 'ns1.rolandserver.com' with address '216.240.136.227' (provided)
Note: Nameserver 'ns2.rolandserver.com' with address '216.240.136.229' (provided)
Error: NS Query failed for nameserver 'ns1.rolandserver.com' at address '216.240.136.227' (Server failure)
Error: SOA Query failed for nameserver 'ns1.rolandserver.com' at address '216.240.136.227' (Server failure)
Error: NS Query failed for nameserver 'ns2.rolandserver.com' at address '216.240.136.229' (Server failure)
Error: SOA Query failed for nameserver 'ns2.rolandserver.com' at address '216.240.136.229' (Server failure)
Error: No authoritative working nameservers found
Error: At least 2 nameservers required

Category Status Test Name Information
Parent PASS Missing Direct Parent check OK. Your direct parent zone exists, which is good. Some domains (usually third or fourth level domains, such as example.co.us) do not have a direct parent zone ('co.us' in this example), which is legal but can cause confusion.
INFO NS records at parent servers Your NS records at the parent servers are:

ns1.rolandserver.com. [216.240.136.227] [TTL=172800] [US]
ns2.rolandserver.com. [216.240.136.229] [TTL=172800] [US]
[These were obtained from f.gtld-servers.net]
PASS Parent nameservers have your nameservers listed OK. When someone uses DNS to look up your domain, the first step (if it doesn't already know about your domain) is to go to the parent servers. If you aren't listed there, you can't be found. But you are listed there.
PASS Glue at parent nameservers OK. The parent servers have glue for your nameservers. That means they send out the IP address of your nameservers, as well as their host names.
PASS DNS servers have A records OK. All your DNS servers either have A records at the zone parent servers, or do not need them (if the DNS servers are on other TLDs). A records are required for your hostnames to ensure that other DNS servers can reach your DNS servers. Note that there will be problems if your DNS servers do not have these same A records.
NS INFO NS records at your nameservers Your NS records at your nameservers are:

[None of your nameservers returned your NS records; they could be down or unreachable, or could all be lame nameservers]
PASS Open DNS servers OK. Your DNS servers do not announce that they are open DNS servers. Although there is a slight chance that they really are open DNS servers, this is very unlikely. Open DNS servers increase the chances that of cache poisoning, can degrade performance of your DNS, and can cause your DNS servers to be used in an attack (so it is good that your DNS servers do not appear to be open DNS servers).
PASS Mismatched glue OK. The DNS report did not detect any discrepancies between the glue provided by the parent servers and that provided by your authoritative DNS servers.
PASS No NS A records at nameservers OK. Your nameservers do include corresponding A records when asked for your NS records. This ensures that your DNS servers know the A records corresponding to all your NS records.
WARN All nameservers report identical NS records WARNING: At least one of your nameservers did not return your NS records (it reported 0 answers). This could be because of a referral, if you have a lame nameserver (which would need to be fixed).

216.240.136.227 returns 0 answers (may be a referral)
216.240.136.229 returns 0 answers (may be a referral)

PASS All nameservers respond OK. All of your nameservers listed at the parent nameservers responded.
PASS Nameserver name validity OK. All of the NS records that your nameservers report seem valid (no IPs or partial domain names).
PASS Number of nameservers OK. You have 2 nameservers. You must have at least 2 nameservers (RFC2182 section 5 recommends at least 3 nameservers), and preferably no more than 7.
FAIL Lame nameservers ERROR: You have one or more lame nameservers. These are nameservers that do NOT answer authoritatively for your domain. This is bad; for example, these nameservers may never get updated. The following nameservers are lame:

PASS Missing (stealth) nameservers OK. All 0 of your nameservers (as reported by your nameservers) are also listed at the parent servers.
FAIL Missing nameservers 2 ERROR: One or more of the nameservers listed at the parent servers are not listed as NS records at your nameservers. The problem NS records are:
ns1.rolandserver.com.
ns2.rolandserver.com.

PASS No CNAMEs for domain OK. There are no CNAMEs for rolandmusiced.com. RFC1912 2.4 and RFC2181 10.3 state that there should be no CNAMEs if an NS (or any other) record is present.
PASS No NSs with CNAMEs OK. There are no CNAMEs for your NS records. RFC1912 2.4 and RFC2181 10.3 state that there should be no CNAMEs if an NS (or any other) record is present.
WARN Nameservers on separate class C's WARNING: All of your nameservers (listed at the parent nameservers) are in the same Class C (technically, /24) address space, which means that they are probably at the same physical location. Your nameservers should be at geographically dispersed locations. You should not have all of your nameservers at the same location. RFC2182 3.1 goes into more detail about secondary nameserver location.
PASS All NS IPs public OK. All of your NS records appear to use public IPs. If there were any private IPs, they would not be reachable, causing DNS delays.
PASS TCP Allowed OK. All your DNS servers allow TCP connections. Although rarely used, TCP connections are occasionally used instead of UDP connections. When firewalls block the TCP DNS connections, it can cause hard-to-diagnose problems.
FAIL Single Point of Failure ERROR: Although you have at least 2 NS records, they both point to the same server, resulting in a single point of failure. You are required to have at least 2 nameservers per RFC 1035 section 2.2.
INFO Nameservers versions Your nameservers have the following versions:

216.240.136.227: "9.2.4"
216.240.136.229: "9.2.4"

PASS Stealth NS record leakage Your DNS servers do not leak any stealth NS records (if any) in non-NS requests.
SOA FAIL SOA Record No valid SOA record came back:
is not rolandmusiced.com.

thanks, i ran both that and the main domain through dnsstuff also, .. i'm just not sure where the point of failure is.

i'm guessing it has something to do with the 'lame nameserver' error reported there but i don't know how to fix that. the configuration looks identical to my other server that is working fine.

A lame server is a DNS server who is authoritative but doesn't realize that. In other words it(the server) has not loaded the zone for rolandserver.com.

FIX: check to see if named.conf has rolandserver.com in it. If no add it and restart named if yes restart named. Check the logs for rolandserver.com to see if it says zone loaded ok.

Brian

Do you have a question or something? You are commenting on a thread that is over a year and a half old.

Floyd,

I've determined that both posts are what I call link spam; I've deleted both of them.

Note to everyone:

If you're posting for the first time on DirectAdmin Forums and your sig is a link to a site which is obviously not hosted on a standard DirectAdmin configuration, and your post isn't quite specific, chances are you're a spammer and will be banned as such.

Jeff

Back