How many people are using the DA 6.x Beta?

What isp are you hosting with that makes this many mistakes?
The only real mistake that I can say they made is not compiling SMP on a dual Opeteron server. You could make a case that the firewall selection is mine to make and install. Because they have been a good source for a lot of people and have a great reputation, I'm withholding their name to protect the guilty.

I'm getting the feeling that I'm the only real beta tester. I know the hoster has been working with DA on it, but I don't have a server yet in what is coming up on 72 hours. Is there anyone on this thread that is using DA with FreeBSD 6.0, compiled multi-processor, that is running in production that did not have DA do the work?

Thanks!

Unfortunately DirectAdmin will not start on this server. We keep getting the following error:

#########################################
server# /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin start Unable to read the license file
reason: Unable to read the contents of the license #########################################

We have checked and the license is valid. We recommend you chose an OS and control panel combination that is not in beta.
The only difference was a recompile SMP. Perhaps they didn't use the same procedures to work around the license issue as the last time when it was compiled under UP. Apparently there are also no instructions on how to circumvent the license problem included with the product. Out of respect for them and their time, I'm not going to ask them to spend any more time on it. If it won't install, it isn't beta.

This is a lost revenue opportunity for DirectAdmin to be the only product that supports FreeBSD 6.0. Few web hosting companies will spend as much time trying to install it as mine has for me. Most would have bailed long ago.

HH-Steve said:
@Chrysalis

GNU Wget 1.10.2

Ok I will bring this thread to john's attention as I am curious how the license was retrieved on wget 10.x, wget 10.x failed on 1 freebsd 4.x box and was actually downgraded by john himself to fix the problems this was a few months back and I had to downgrade on my 6.x box to get it to work. Strangely the new wget appears to work when DA does automated licence updates tho on a few other boxes. I know directadmin have a fudged licence and I think it would be a great help if they fixed this, if this isnt making it fail I dont know what else it could be.

Ok I will bring this thread to john's attention
I appreciate that.
1. We need an official fix from the "horses mouth" along with any downsides.
2. It needs to be part of the installation docs.
3. It needs to be out here on this thread so that when people search for an answer, they find it.

Just a thought but couldn't you modify the getLicense.sh script and change the wget line and replace it with fetch? I don't know if fetch is capable of using that kind of url the licence uses but just a thought.

Steven

Just a thought but couldn't you modify the getLicense.sh script and change the wget line and replace it with fetch? I don't know if fetch is capable of using that kind of url the licence uses but just a thought.
I don't know. DA gave me a script to send to them. I did that, and haven't heard back. I will pass this to DA though to see what they think.

Thanks!

Somehow they got it working. This is the first DirectAdmin + FreeBSD 6.0 SMP machine. We will see. It ran for a couple hours, then crashed hard while I was in the control panel. I couldn't even ping it. I don't know the cause. It may have nothing to do with DA. It's been running again for about 6 hours but I haven't been in DA.

Thanks for your help!

PS: The last thing that they sent the web hoster through me was:
Ok, that's not a binary issue, that's just a license problem.
Try this guide:
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=30

Might be realted to the --no-check-certificate issue.

Let me know what the output of that guide is.
Hopefully this is of help to someone else. They had it running UP, SMP they had a problem. I wouldn't think there would be a difference or maybe just a different person setting it up, I don't know. All I'm saying is that this is the last correspondance before the control panel started working.

dont know about that, it used that switch on my 6.0 box wget just kept rejecting the da output or da was rejecting the wget headers. I grabbed the 5.1 binary and it worked first time.

I don't know what they did to get it to work. It could have been what they learned from the script and maybe the hoster and DA talked between. All I know is it is running.

However, now that I have you on the line, I think you are a FreeBSD man. I need to put in AWStats, and I seem to remember you whining on the AWStats thread.<g> Can you tell me what I need to get it installed? I started a thead in 3rd party named AWStats on FreeBSD just hoping that you would show up.

you need what I said, if you seen me whine you seen the solution.

If I remember correctly when installing the plugin it will tell you the command to run in the shell but before you run it edit it and correct the path to the tar command. Then run it, make sure it downloads and untars ok if that is successful it then should be working.

Got it! It wasn't clear from what I read if you ended up a happy camper or not, which is why I asked.

Thanks Tons!

I'm checking in to state my experiences os setting up a production server running on DA and FreeBSD 6.0.

The install didn't go well because of the license issue mentioned by others. That can be quite a challenge apparently for even web hosters familiar with DA. Once up and running, there are no issues.

We've also made some changes to the install. I had chrysalis install MySQL 4.x instead of 5, and PHP 5.2 instead of the 4.x. That way I had someone to blame if it didn't go so well. ;-) Pride won't let me admit that he is better than me at this stuff.
- PHP 5.1.2 is excellent, stable, and the APC cache works well with it. I'm running compatability mode at the moment because there are some pieces missig if you move to it.
1. There is no PHPMyAdmin available that is in a stable branch. Thus it is not in FreeBSD ports. PHPMyAdmin version for 4.x works, but it is a strange actor when you logout.
2. There are no issues with SquirrelMail/Nutsmail this way. There is a SquirrelMail for 5.x, but if you check it out, you will see that at the time of this writing, it is not recommended for production use. Thus, also no Nutsmail for 5.x either, but I haven't encountered any issues with the 4.x version as of yet.

Other changes:
- I changed DA and SquirrelMail to do secure login. I take the low risk stuff.<g>

The server:
The server is a dual Opteron 246, 2 gigs of ram, and dual SCSI 10K 73s. The OS is FreeBSD 6.0 to skirt some of the issues 5.x has. The server runs a weather site that runs a MySQL database, calcs lattitude and longitude, finds closest reporting stations based on longitude and lattitude, fetches weather information, and creates weather maps. During the middle of the night the traffic cools to 2,000 online at a time and sometimes less. Normal daytime highs range from a low of 5,000 to and average of 6,600, to a high of between 9,000 and 10,000 when there is something going on. (Hurricane season). We will be moving our hotel site, rental cars, etc. over to it. Noon hour east coast time is the hardest hit. We just had well over 9,000 on today. Server loads ranged 1.35 to 1.85. Performance still good. We plan to move our Hotel site, rental car site, etc. over to it too. The weather site is the acid test. If it doesn't fall down under the weather site, it isn't going to fall down. We'll see how well it goes with the Hotel site on there with it. That's the number two hitter we have. It has a much larger MySQL database, but it doesn't have to create maps and there are never that many users on it at a time.

If DA injected any instabilities into FreeBSD 6.0, we'd know about it by now. It's been getting hammered for two weeks now. Even with all of our changes from the default install, it doesn't seem to shake up DA.

That's all that I have.

agree if you take away the initial installation problems once its actually running its fairly stable.

I just got an email that DA just crashed. I found that to be true. I logged in SSH to start it it, it says OK, but when I do a status on it, it says it has a pid but it is dead. Hopefully DA didn't just send out an update. I'm waiting to see what the web hoster finds. Very strange!

The hoster did not figure out what was wrong, but John from DA support did:
"Hello,

I logged in and checked the logs:

server# tail /var/log/directadmin/error.log
2006:03:18-03:11:00: error loading certificate key
2006:03:18-03:11:11: error loading certificate key
2006:03:18-03:12:00: error loading certificate key

I then edited the conf/directadmin.conf, set SSL=0 and startd DA.
Looks like the certificate/key pair don't match (or something along those lines).

Likely the change was made a while ago (date stamp of the key is March 10th) but DA wasn't restarted.
Then DA was recently restarted at which time is tried to load those value, thus failing.

Thank you,

John
I did setup DA SSL per the instructions, and I did restart it. But I also added a snakeoil server certificate later so I could do backups. The snakeoil cert. was expired, but I don't see why that would matter and the rsync backup still worked with it. I don't see the connection but that is the history. Thus the problem PROBABLY was somehow related to something that I did, which is good news.

Hey so what are those issues you said you are skirting by upgrading to FreeBSD 6.0? Just checking. Anything like kernel panics, WRITE_DMA problems, and frozen hard drives?

Ready for 6.0 myself actually. While we still have a few customers left. 5.4 really sucks.

Big Wil

Well, I use FreeBSD 6.0 because my hardware is so new, that 5.4 and 5.5beta didn't recognize SATA on my mainboard.
But I found several bugs in 6.0 and they don't seem to be fixed in 6.1 :(
(memory leak in RAID 10 in FreeBSD 6.0, after 10GB of upload by network server crashes - error is submitted)

Back