How to choose MariaDB and PHP versions for fresh DA install?

beansbaxter

Verified User
When I install DA on a new server, I've done both ways - manual choosing the CustomBuild option in Setup, and the "auto" parameter for an easy DA setup.

What are the steps to choose the specific versions of the software you want the first time you install DA?

For example, I want to install DirectAdmin with Apache 2.4, MariaDB 10.2, and PHP 7.

It would be nice to choose exactly what is wanted, instead of having to install DA and then remove MySQL and upgrade everything else.

Running CentOS 7 if it matters.

Thanks in advance.

Hosting Kernel

Verified User
1. do installation normally (choose apache, php 7 etc)
2. when it asks you if you want to to search for fastest mirrors, pause here (dont answer yet) and ssh to your server, edit the "/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/options.conf" and choose exactly what you want here, for example set mysql_inst to mariadb, also choose the version for example set mariadb to 10.4
3. save the file and continue the installation.

Last edited:

beansbaxter

Verified User
Thanks. That worked exactly as you described.

I chose a normal CentOS 7 installation, waited at the question asking for fastest mirrors, SSH into the server from a second terminal window, and I was able to make changes to the options.conf file, telling DA to install PHP 5 and 7 along with MariaDB 10.2

And then chose yes for the fastest mirrors and everything worked great when finished.

Thank you for the assist.

Zhenyapan

Verified User
Now fresh DA install ask to choose sql server and version, but ignores it.
Centos 7, fresh install, selected MariaDB 10.3, but installed 5.5

spencer

1. do installation normally (choose apache, php 7 etc)
2. when it asks you if you want to to search for fastest mirrors, pause here (dont answer yet) and ssh to your server, edit the "/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/options.conf" and choose exactly what you want here, for example set mysql_inst to mariadb, also choose the version for example set mariadb to 10.4
3. save the file and continue the installation.
I have tried number of times to install DA on FreeBSD 11.2/11.3/12.0 with mysql with no success, when I changed to mariadb and followed directions above I am getting a bit further now but still getting errors afterwards. I'm fed up.... anyone can help please ?

beansbaxter

Verified User
To install MariaDB, instead of MySQL, you have to change 2 options in the DA options configuration:

Open your first SSH window into your server, install the DA install script:

Code:
wget http://www.directadmin.com/setup.sh
chmod 755 setup.sh
./setup.sh
Go through the steps. When it asks if you want to install default configuration settings, say yes. When it asks to search for the closest DA mirror to continue installation, pause and do nothing.

Open a second SSH window, and:

Code:
nano /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/options.conf
Change the MariaDB version your preferred version, and change the MySQL Install option to MariaDB:

Code:
mariadb=10.2
mysql_inst=mariadb
Save your options.conf file, close this SSH window, and go back to your first SSH window and proceed with Yes, search for the closest mirror.

And DA will install based upon the options.conf variables you've chosen.

I've done this multiple times in the last few weeks and it's worked great.

Hope that helps.