I need assisitnace

alevsky

Here is my problem
I have space on the server for design testing ( WordPress, Static sites etc)
there is no real domain so i connect via browser ip address/~user name.
Now I have two questions?
In this conditions how do I create sub domain ( I like to install Joomla I cannot install in same directory as WordPress) I can have static Site in sub directory but Joomla or Drupal need it is own space.
Second question is I can create a second domain problem is when I try connect to is same user name direct me to a first domain .
Is there another way to connect to second domain with out using same password
Would be great if I can do IP Address/domain name....
I try subdomain but it do not work i use this way subdomain name.ip address/~user name
Any suggestions
Thanx in advance

Lev

Honestly, I would recommend you go to http://freedns.afraid.org/ and point a subdomain domain to your server for free. There's several there that you can choose from. It seems significantly easier and less complicated.

you may be correct

Honestly, I would recommend you go to http://freedns.afraid.org/ and point a subdomain domain to your server for free. There's several there that you can choose from. It seems significantly easier and less complicated.

@ Da Dude you r correct the reason I did not do that I like test section to be totally invisible......
I have domains I can use but as soon as you pot DNS server to a folder it is open to public.
IP address as well but it is lot less chance some one find it . This section of the server is for development use only.....

Why don't you just protect it with .htaccess? Then only the domainname is visible but nobody can enter, except you.

Much better then is that you add your server ip address and the domain name to your computer local host file, and restart your web browser. Then you can visit the site for real, without any need to register the domain name or anything. Search Google for how-to change you computer host file.

If you are on windows on you computer, and if you want to make it real simple, then download Host Administrator from here http://www.rekenwonder.com/hostadm.htm

Just add you server main ip to the ip address field, and in the Host Name field you add the domain name, in the Alias field you don't need to add anything. Then click on OK and Save. Restart your web browser, and you can visit the domain name for real.

(if it does not work, you must right click on the .exe file and choose to run it as administrator)

Greate Idea

Thanx ditto
That would work if I did not have user name after ip on the shared server
ie 23.16.45.40/~name this do not work in Host admin it only recognize IP

It does work. But you should not use the ~name at all. Only add the server main ip in Host admin and the domain name. Your site has a domain name in DirectAdmin, that is what you should add in Host admin.

Last edited:
Host admin

I here what you saying but it do not work
In my test account
I have 2 domains now primary which respond to ip address/~username
and now I add second .so now in Host admin i setup IP address and new domain name
I still do not get on site...
I really do not want modify local host file

You should add both www.yourdomain.com and yourdomain.com in Host admin, so that it works in both ways.

You say that you do not want to modify your local host file, but that is exactly what you are doing when using Host admin.

Make sure that you right click and run Host admin as administrator user when you add the above.

Restart you web browser. Make sure you visit your site by typing yourdomain.com, do not try to visit the 23.16.45.40/~name, and do not try to visit yourdomain.com/~name

If you still can't get it to work, I am not able to provide any more help. You are doing something wrong then. It does work if you do it correctly.

I am following you instraction to a tee

I know that by using Host admin I am modifying Host file I did not want to do it by hand
I had both fake domains in Host admin with assigned IP address.
But I still cannot get work...
By the way Host admin not need to be open after I saved new domains?
I am using win 7 I now try to find lmhost and see why I am not reaching pages?

Correct, Host admin does not need to be open after you Save. After you Save, open Host admin again and confirm the domain and ip you added is still there, if it is not, then you must run Host admin as administrator user (right click on Host admin and choose run as administrator). Maybe the problem is with your server and DNS. Good luck.

Back