Icu4c 64_1

DirectAdmin Support

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

ICU4C version 64_1 has been added to the versions.txt.
However, many older OSs will not be able to compile it.. in fact, that could be just reworded to "only newer OSs can compile it".

Basically only the following OSs will be able to install the newer version:
  • CentOS 7
  • FreeBSD 11
  • Debian 8 + 9

Anything older, CustomBuild will complain, telling you it cannot be done, eg:
Code:
ICU4C 64_1 cannot run on your OS. Downgrading ICU4C to to 58_2

If you wish to suppress this message, simply override the version like this:
Code:
echo "icu4c:58_2:" >> /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/custom_versions.txt
and this should stop it from complaining.

John

I don't know why, but due to some issue (maybe with this), it says an update from php 7.2.16 to 7.2.17 is available.
But it won't update with ./build update_versions

It does update while doing a ./build php n

However it should also update with the update_versions command. What's going wrong?

Version dependency for PHP

There is a bit bigger impact on PHP 5.6.X at the -enable-intl compilation attribute will fail with never ICU. This already surfaced on https://sourceforge.net/p/icu/mailman/message/36625831/.

There should be an icu selector 64_1 for php7.X with fallback on 58_2 for 5.X. This will require more than one version of the icu binaries to coexists.

Main drawback of removing of the -enable-intl flag is lack of i18n support yielding by Zend InputFilter and various locale-aware operations including but not limited to formatting, transliteration, encoding conversion, calendar operations.

Hope this will help those stuck with clients using older php.

I don't know why, but due to some issue (maybe with this), it says an update from php 7.2.16 to 7.2.17 is available.

However it should also update with the update_versions command. What's going wrong?

we installed 7.2.17 with no problem.

PHP 5.x and 7.0 compilation issues with ICU 61+ have been fixed in CB 2.0 rev. 2034. Thank you for the report!

Thank you smtalk!

Anything older, CustomBuild will complain, telling you it cannot be done, eg:
ICU4C 64_1 cannot run on your OS. Downgrading ICU4C to to 58_2
Is this told at the beginning of the compile? Because I did not see this on the end of the compile on the Centos 6 servers.

This warning has been removed, as it does not show upgrade as available in "./build versions" for OS not supporting it, thus a warning on downgrade is not needed :)

as it does not show upgrade as available in "./build versions" for OS not supporting it
In that case.... How come that ./build update_versions was compiling a new ICU on my not supported Centos 6 servers? Or was this removed in the build fix?

Last edited:
Does “./build versions” show icu update as available?

No it's now like:
Latest version of ICU4C: 58.2
Installed version of ICU4C: 58.2
But a when I did my first post here in this thread it did download this and did a compilation.

On the Centos 7 server it's newer indeed.

Sadly PHP 5.4 can no longer be compiled because of another problem - this one:
Why is that sad? Php 5.4 was already EOL/support at least 3 years ago, it's not even safe to use anymore.

or stop using PHP 5...
Which would be the best choice or maybe max php 5.6 for a short while (also already eol).

I had the same issue. This has now been fixed in CustomBuild 2.0 rev. 2039

I think 5.6 will (sadly) be around for a while yet...... As soon as we changed to 7.2 as the default, some websites broke.....
@Peter.
PHP 5.6 is just a couple of months EOL, so it's not that bad yet... 5.4 is really obsolete though. However, keep in mind that 7.2 indeed can break some websites as it seems to have some more changes then other 7.x versions. So you could try 7.1 or 7.0. In my experience various sites are compatible with 7.1, but also forums like Simple Machines, do have support for PHP 7.1 (or 7.0) and will work on it. It's worth a try.

Why is that sad? Php 5.4 was already EOL/support at least 3 years ago, it's not even safe to use anymore

Don't get me wrong - I am not a fan of outdated software. I have however hundreds of websites of users which use outdated software and don't bother to rewrite/update their code. More precisely - they actually buy our hosting only for the reason that it supports older PHP versions. Why not take their money? :)

they actually buy our hosting only for the reason that it supports older PHP versions.
I do understand that part, can't blaim you for it either if you can earn money with it. :) I don't mind either by the way.
However... what happens when your server get's compromised and the users are complaining about that and maybe downtime or lost data? Or did you catch that in your agreement policy?

It's handled in the agreement policy. Using the old PHP version is not recommended and "on their own risk" and users agree to keep their CMS-es up-to-date (which of course they don't). Evil agreement :)

Happily hacks are not common at all.

Back