Inplace upgrade from Almalinux 8 to Almalinux 9

Active8

Verified User
Yes folks ! after inplace upgrade from Centos 7 to Almalinux 8, its now possible to do the same trick to upgrade to AL 9 !

Its still kind of beta but for who want's to play with it here is the link :

For Rockylinux users there is also an upgrade wiki :

Last edited:
For who wants to test... be aware that you do not have any php lower than 8.0 because the 9 versions of Alma and Rocky have OpenSSL 3.0 which does not work with php 7.x and lower. ;)

Edit: In the meantime things changed and since DA 1.657 patches PHP so versions lower than 8.1 can work in newer OS with OpenSSL 3.x.

Last edited:
Thanks @Active8 that process doesn't look too daunting. It would be great if we could avoid doing a new install.

Also be aware that ELevate supports for default OS installation. DA installation uses many custom builds which might be troubles. I remembered I tried several times when the project just started, and needed to use console for fixing things manually. And issues were different crossing the servers. The script might be better now, just a warning.

I have some notes, but need to check again. It has been a while :) Something that I can remember:
  • python2 vs python3.
  • grub, bootscript with EFI: the servers might or might not bootable. Or might boot but with the old kernels. In some servers I needed to recreated manually initramfs with dracut.
  • CSF with nftables.
  • Perl, some other DA-built apps might be uninstalled.
Can only advice that please read carefully the leapp-report after running preupgrade AND after running upgrade, do not reboot servers before reading and understanding the results.

just create Snapshot ( if possible ) before do some dangerous thing.

I have some notes, but need to check again. It has been a while :) Something that I can remember:
  • python2 vs python3.
  • grub, bootscript with EFI: the servers might or might not bootable. Or might boot but with the old kernels. In some servers I needed to recreated manually initramfs with dracut.
  • CSF with nftables.
  • Perl, some other DA-built apps might be uninstalled.
Can only advice that please read carefully the leapp-report after running preupgrade AND after running upgrade, do not reboot servers before reading and understanding the results.
In EL8, for MariaDB , DA use RPM package.
In EL9, for MariaDB , it seems DA use source to compile.

Back