Installing Exim from Ports

Noldar

Verified User
Has anyone installed Exim from the ports collection? I'd like to install Exim with Exiscan enabled, but I can't figure out the options I need to make all the paths match what is used by the da_exim package.

Any help is appreciated.

Richard

Hello,

I'll attach the Makefile required to be copied/edited to the Local directory that we use. You can modify it as needed.

John

Attachments

• makefile.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 317
I think I finally got it with help from the Makefile that John posted.

I've attached an EDITME.txt file that you will need for one of the steps. You should make sure your ports collection is up to date. Here's what I did.
Code:
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/exim stop
cd /usr/ports/mail/exim
make extract
make patch
cp EDITME.txt to work/exim-4.30/src/EDITME
mkdir /usr/local/etc/exim
touch /usr/local/etc/exim/configure
make build
make install
cp /usr/sbin/exim /usr/sbin/exim.old
cp /usr/sbin/exim-4.30-2 /usr/sbin/exim
rm /usr/local/etc/rc.d/exim.sh
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/exim start
This was on a FreeBSD 4.9 box. Your mileage may vary :D

Once I get Exiscan working I'll post a complete How-To.

Richard

Attachments

• editme.txt
    44.9 KB · Views: 291
I have tried to install the exim port but failed. Had to reinstall old DA exim. I didnt use any of the files in this thread.
Noldar, can you explain a bit more how to make this work, where to put Makefile.txt (right in the port?), change anything in it? What does EDITME.txt do? Anything more to have in mind when doing this?

All you need is the EDITME.txt file which gets copied over the EDITME file in the work directory. It gets used to build the makefile with the proper options. If you follow the steps I used above it should work.

If you get any errors just post them here.

Richard

Okey, because if I get any trouble I will need fast help, otherwise customers will start complaining :)

Ill try this later this evening. If something goes wrong how do I get old Exim back? Just running exim.sh in the scripts directory?

I haven't tried this myself, but this should probably work to restore the default DA exim.
Code:
cd /usr/ports/mail/exim
make deinstall
cd /usr/local/directadmin/scripts
./exim.sh

Richard

I had problems with that EDITME file but i figured out that i needed to change the path
TLS_LIBS=-L/usr/local/openssl/lib -lssl -lcrypto
to
TLS_LIBS=-L/usr/local/lib -lssl -lcrypto
Where I have it installed. I did this change on two more lines.

Im still worried about
TLS_INCLUDE=-I/usr/local/openssl/include/ -I/usr/kerberos/include

What does it mean with -I/usr/kerberos/include because I have no such path.
make build works without any complaints but Im still not sure if everthings OK.

I tried install it anyway. It works as far as to receive mail. To send doesnt work. I tried in SquirrelMail and gets Server replied: 550 authentication required in return... Any clues?

edit/ Seems its just with SquirrelMail the problem occours, with UebiMiau it works fine. If I move back old exim binary it works with SquirrelMail again.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the TLS libs and include lines. Now that I look I don't have any files under /usr/local/openssl either. I assume it found the needed files from the general lib and include path that is defined. I didn't receive any errors when I compiled.

With your Squirrelmail problem, what do you see in your exim log when you try to send mail?

Richard

Rejectlog says:
2004-05-06 10:05:07 H=localhost (server.kontrollpanelen.se) [::1] F=<[email protected]> rejected RCPT <[email protected]>: authentication required

and mainlog says:
2004-05-06 10:05:07 H=localhost (server.kontrollpanelen.se) [::1] F=<[email protected]> rejected RCPT <[email protected]>: authentication required
2004-05-06 10:05:07 unexpected disconnection while reading SMTP command from localhost (server.kontrollpanelen.se) [::1]

Last edited:
Problem seems to be this:
With new Exim the logs says the mail comes from [::1] (?) which is not included in relay_hosts.

With old Exim the mail comes from [127.0.0.1] which it should!

Why is it that with new exim the mail is adressed from [::1]?

edit// I have solved this problem by changing $smtp_auth_mech = 'none'; to $smtp_auth_mech = 'login';
and now it works fine. Is this a good solutions or do you think I have to dig deeper into this and fix it?

edit 2 // Have you got exiscan working?

Last edited:
Back