License fail

grunt

Verified User
Tried this new install. Get it to work and then it kicks up a License Out of date or not valid type screen. Using Lifetime one. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Eddie
On my third try for today.

Just an update. Clean Centos 7 install tries, all failed. Tried to find the reasons, but whatever the problem is, it is well beyond anything I know. Would not even let you connect to verify your key. Services frose or wouldn't start/restart.

Tried Debain 9 today, running after first try, but I haven't fully tested the install, will let you know how it goes. Haven't used Debain in years.. so... there's another curve ball.

Feel like I was a fool for buying lifetime. Of course times have changed. Just a hobby for me, thank goodness.

Regards to all,
Eddie

Don't worry. It might be that all failed because the install procedure changed. I've just read that it isn't like before anymore. Now you get a quick DA install and alle the services will be compiled and installed in the background.
So it can take some time before webservice etc. will be running. I hope you've thought about that.

@grunt -- can you post your license ID# ? There is no security risk in this. I would like to examine our logs to see what is going on.

Regarding installation -- certainly do what @Richard G mentioned. Notice that the installer now finishes the install in the background, and you must wait for the "completed" message in DA. Otherwise, it will look like a bunch of services are down/uncompiled. :)

Edit: At the end of the install, you will also see a "tail" command you can run if you really want to watch compiling scroll by the old-fashioned way.

ID is 82287. Waited hours in some cases. Tried to reinstall over existing, but it said it could not connect to fetch the required info/packages. Tried rebuild, etc. Could not find the logs to check for errors. Running systemctl showed directadmin and httpd to not be loaded and neither would start using 'service x start' or systemcltl. Used up all my limited knowledge and half of Googles.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Eddie

PS: Still running this AM on Debain.

Hi Eddie @grunt

Your license looks just fine. Our new key-based licenses aren't affected as much by user-error (wrong IP in the license for example), or server calling back on IPv6 instead of the license IPv4.

So there is only two real possibilities here: networking issue, or your key has been leaked and being used somewhere else. I checked your license to confirm the latter is not the case.

I'm leaning towards some networking problem, especially since you also mention things like "could not connect to fetch the required info/packages"

Furthermore, I went one step further and deployed a CentOS 7 VPS and ran the installer with your key. Within ~1 minute all the dependencies were downloaded, DA installed, and login works fine (no license expired message).

Then I watched and waited for CustomBuild to complete. Everything downloaded & compiled fine. Totally successful install on the first try, with CentOS 7 and your key.

It is most certainly networking related, not a flaw in the license or the installer.

May try it again. Thanks for your effort.

"Then I watched and waited for CustomBuild to complete. Everything downloaded & compiled fine. Totally successful install on the first try, with CentOS 7 and your key."

That makes me feel much better,
Thank you!

Did another try. I doubt I was clear enough. The install appears to go fine. You can log in ONE TIME. Shortly after it locks up and throws the error. I have a lot of data from the last try, and it appears that, BIG GUESS here, that SOMETHING goes haywire.

When I can figure a way to trim the logs I saved, I will post same. It IS the networking, but the install is creating the issue.
Will keep you advised if I learn more. Custom build completes, but the it goes south.

Regards
Eddie.

Even that information is helpful, and still points to a network problem of some sort.

If DA starts up after install, but let's say becomes expired within 10 minutes, that means it cannot connect to our servers to refresh the licensing session.

This is why my install worked, but yours didn't. There is something strange going on with your server.

Could you try the command and share the output of:

Code:
journalctl -u directadmin

Also, try:

Code:
wget https://licensing.directadmin.com

Let's see if your server or datacenter is blocking our licensing servers? You should get a "Hello!" response to that 2nd command.

Also, at the time of this posting, I am viewing your license and seeing an active session.

Your login page also loads fine for me. DA is not showing as down/expired.

I am having this same issue. I just submitted a support ticket.

License has expired​

Current Server Time: Fri Dec 17 20:34:08 2021

I also tried the command you stated above and connect just fine to the licensing server.

[root@server1 /]# wget https://licensing.directadmin.com
--2021-12-17 20:32:04-- https://licensing.directadmin.com/
Resolving licensing.directadmin.com... 2606:4700:3033::6815:f78, 2606:4700:3032::ac43:a297, 104.21.15.120, ...
Connecting to licensing.directadmin.com|2606:4700:3033::6815:f78|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified [text/plain]
Saving to: “index.html”

[ <=> ] 7 --.-K/s in 0s

2021-12-17 20:32:04 (960 KB/s) - “index.html” saved [7]

Thanks for any help.
Phil

Phil, I have already replied to your ticket, and your DA appears working? I found no License Expired message at the login screen.

Hi,
The reason you saw it working is I went back to Debain. As stated earlier, it's just a hobby to me.

When I had it on Centos, you could not get a connection to any where with wget, and directadmin and Apache were not working.
AS it was installing wget clearly worked as it pulled whatever install needed.

May just leave it with Debain for now, as it is burning out my last two brain cells.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Eddie

Hi @grunt, regarding any licensing issues you can always find the actual reason why DA thinks license is not valid in the directadmin logs:

Code:
journalctl -u directadmin -n 100

You can easy get into this kind of situation if you are running multiple DA installations with a single license. It would also show error messages if our licensing server is not reachable due to network issues.

I say again, IT is a network issue. However the install is creating the network issue.

OR said another way...
ET can't call home!

Above said in jest!

Take care.. and best regards,
Eddie

Hi @grunt, regarding any licensing issues you can always find the actual reason why DA thinks license is not valid in the directadmin logs:

Code:
journalctl -u directadmin -n 100

You can easy get into this kind of situation if you are running multiple DA installations with a single license. It would also show error messages if our licensing server is not reachable due to network issues.

This shows you the events that lead to the fail screen. Good install via ssh, good login screen, good login.. ONCE, minutes later last clip. Also include the results of "journalctl -u directadmin -n 100"

Hope this explains better than I have.
Thanks...
Eddie

DirectAdmin Web Control Panel.
Dec 18 19:24:37 server1.alamanceorange.com directadmin[24143]: 2021/12/18 19:24:37 error failed to refresh license error=request failed: Post "ht
Dec 18 19:25:08 server1.alamanceorange.com directadmin[24143]: 2021/12/18 19:25:08 error proxy request error error=context canceled url=htt
Dec 18 19:25:38 server1.alamanceorange.com directadmin[24143]: 2021/12/18 19:25:37 error failed to refresh license error=request failed: Post "ht
Dec 18 19:26:34 server1.alamanceorange.com directadmin[24143]: sh: /usr/sbin/httpd: No such file or directory
Dec 18 19:26:34 server1.alamanceorange.com directadmin[24143]: 2021/12/18 19:26:34 error proxy request error error=context canceled url=htt
Dec 18 19:26:38 server1.alamanceorange.com directadmin[24143]: 2021/12/18 19:26:38 error failed to refresh license error=request failed: Post "ht
Dec 18 19:27:22 server1.alamanceorange.com directadmin[24143]: 2021/12/18 19:27:22 error proxy request error error=context canceled url=htt
Dec 18 19:27:38 server1.alamanceorange.com directadmin[24143]: 2021/12/18 19:27:38 error failed to refresh license error=request failed: Post "ht
Dec 18 19:27:38 server1.alamanceorange.com directadmin[24143]: 2021/12/18 19:27:38 warn licence is now expired
lines 1-12/12 (END)

Attachments

• installok1.png
    installok1.png
    94.6 KB · Views: 13
  • install2.png
    install2.png
    108.7 KB · Views: 13
  • screen3.png
    screen3.png
    175.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2021-12-15 141519.png