Life time license upgrade

Jayjayuk

Verified User
I logged in and noticed an ‘upgrade’ option to convert my lifetime license at a cost of $15 per month, but if I stop paying I forfeit it.

I can’t see an option to pay for support only to get the pro pack? Has this now changed? Or is it because i still have support?

Has this now changed? Or is it because i still have support?
That changed some time ago. You can change to a normal license and get license worth of free months if I understoord correctly. It was in another post hier on the DA forum somewhere.
Ah... found it for you.

No Pro pack anymore for lifetime licenses.
So if you still halve it, that might indeed be the case because you still have support.

It's related to this announcement, but the short explanation is we are moving to a unified codebase (all licenses having all features) and there won't be a Pro Pack any more. So buying a support extension to get Pro Pack becomes a technical impossibility, and it is just better to retire this option.

In its place is the license upgrade option which is actually a slight price drop compared to the old support extension.

Same as @johannes here, didn't get it clear what will happen to the old lifetime licenses now DA drops Pro Pack option.
@DirectAdmin Sales can you explain it in an simple way for not native English speaking folk ?

Last edited:
Also how about software (php etc) updates? Since they are now coupled to DA updates. Especialy related to datacenter licences (i have one of those via TransIP)

Last thing I got from their message is that old Lifetime license holders just can keep using their license, but without newly developped features like the pro pack.
For ticket support, lifetime licenses need to pay, I don't know if that changed from monthley to yearly now or not available at all anymore.
So maybe somebody from DA can shed light on that for you.

Since they are now coupled to DA updates.
Unfortunately (imho) updates are also released now by minor DA updates which are being put out for those application updates.
However, if there is a real DA update (so for the DA version itself), and there are updates after that release and you don't want to update DA yet for some reason, you can't update your php/mysql versions either. :(

s just can keep using their license, but without newly developped features like the pro pack.
Yes that was the first announcement, but later that one is changed :
we are moving to a unified codebase (all licenses having all features) and there won't be a Pro Pack any more
So everyone get the Pro Pack for all type of account ? as I understand, so for that reason I have asked to DA staff to clarify things

So everyone get the Pro Pack for all type of account ?
I asked this once somewhere, but the unified codebase is for all -current- licenses being sold, this is also the reason why the personal license is being removed in favor of the personal plus.
So all current licenses will have everything, unified codebase including pro pack.

Old lifetime licenses will be just what they are, no pro pack, no feature developped licenses, just a license you can use as you use them now, withtout new/extra features.

But let's wait for da's acknowledgement of this.

Unfortunately (imho) updates are also released now by minor DA updates which are being put out for those application updates.
However, if there is a real DA update (so for the DA version itself), and there are updates after that release and you don't want to update DA yet for some reason, you can't update your php/mysql versions either. :(
But this is what worries me, if lifetime licences will remain on an old codebase, are we still getting updates so CB updates come trough, or none at all?

@DirectAdmin Sales can you explain it in an simple way for not native English speaking folk ?

Sorry -- I realize my answer was unclear even for English speaking folk 🤦‍♂️

In 2023 August we will stop selling all non-Pro-Pack licenses. This means datacenter products and the Personal license. After that, the only licenses for sale will be: Personal PLUS, Lite, & Standard.

When I said all licenses will have all features, I meant from the view of anyone buying a new license after that date.

Better wording would of been: All licenses available to buy will have all features.

Regarding Legacy Codebase specifications, please standby as we add more information to the license section our official documentation.

Edit: Official explanation of legacy license/codebase is now available here. Some may find it vague, but this is due to maintenance of the legacy codebase being governed by available resources, which may shift dramatically come 2023 August.

Last edited:
and what about customers who have an active support extension? if i read this correctly, this can also be maintained (as long as the payment does not fail). the support extension currently activates the "pro pack", in which code base does this result ?

and what about customers who have an active support extension? if i read this correctly, this can also be maintained (as long as the payment does not fail). the support extension currently activates the "pro pack", in which code base does this result ?

Support extension is replaced by the discounted Standard license -- so if you're a current support extension holder everything stays the same for you except that the price drops the next time you renew (around $1.50/month less than the support extension).

In other words, there will be no Pro Pack any more, so we'll give you the new codebase product in its place (and keep our promise that you won't be paying more than you were on the support extension).

This is the reason the "Upgrade Available" button started appearing in the lifetime licenses. Technically, support extensions are still available for order (until 2023 August). But they are more expensive than the new alternative, and you will need to switch to the new alternative anyway, so buying the old support extension is just overpaying for something.

and what about the owned licenses? we have both, old life times and owned, for the owned licences the support extension was 99$ per licence.

This is so complicated.

Would it just be easier to offer the support pack and give the new code base??

I personally prefer to pay yearly than monthly.

Before 2038 Owned license did not get any update because then DA only received Pro Pack updates. DA moving to a pro pack base Hosting panel. Lots of things are not available in the DirectAdmin Owned license. Like ARM hardware installation, WordPress Manager, etc. That's good for business. But they have to open an option for an owned license holder like they will pay an amount of USD yearly and can enjoy the facilities. Look there are lots of things available you can't explain one of them is trust, the old users who uses DA from the beginning when DA is nothing. They hold DA for the owned license because they can't spend money on the regular license. BTW... Thanks for providing updates. I wish we will get hardware base support from DA like lots of new hardware are coming in the future, Currently, ARM getting more popular day by day, But It's only unlocked in the pro pack. Not in the Owned license. I saw somewhere DA post @sales mention , when owned licenses were sold then they did not commit to providing DA for the ARM base. Ok fine, No problem, we undestand. then charged some amount to unlock the hardware. Finally Best wishes to DA. Lots of love...

@apogee If our system doesn't take care of it automatically in August, feel free to open a ticket and we'll make sure that existing billing arrangements are respected.

@Jayjayuk If you want yearly (or something else) the easiest solution would be adding account credit for the time you want, and have the license bill from your account balance.
They hold DA for the owned license because they can't spend money on the regular license.

But they have to open an option for an owned license holder like they will pay an amount of USD yearly and can enjoy the facilities.

We do have that option open. When viewing the owned license in your account, there is a green "Upgrade Available" button that gives you all the benefits of a retail Standard license (technical support, and all extra features) at a good discount (about half-price). Our unlimited licenses are truly unlimited (we don't charge on the per-account model) so if your goal is to build a powerhouse ARM server with thousands of accounts, then you must agree this is a great deal for a commercial control panel. (y) If your goal is personal use and you just intend to use a small ARM-based VPS, then your best option is our Personal PLUS license.

@DirectAdmin Sales

That sounds like a plan, do I need to upgrade while the option is there or can it be done anytime? I guess once I upgrade I need to keep paying or lose the license?

@Jayjayuk That license upgrade option will be there after August, so don't feel pressured to upgrade if you don't need it right now.

This is a special deal, so it is true that you lose the license if you stop paying. Clearly, it's best for those who intend longer-term use. It's probably better to order a regular license for inconsistent or short-term use.

Back