Lingerd & FastCGI & ModGzip

nappa

Verified User
I would really like it if we could have an easy way to have lingerd installed - in the custom apache compiler.

http://www.iagora.com/about/software/lingerd/
It's a software that has been being used by the likes of Sourceforge, and have had great success in combatting Time_Wait problems that plague the apache systmes when there is many PHP applications running.

http://www.fastcgi.com/
FastCGI
I would love to have this instead of the mod_php. The benefit is only for those users who like to have PHP run as a PHPSusexc CGI out of security concerns. This gives security, and it gives performance.

I've been having problems with modGzip installation. I would actually love it if this install was automated like they have on Cpanel's EasyApache.

Ill have this covered along with numerous other scripts and projects over the next few weeks (possibly more :rolleyes: )

Chris

!! First I see you in WHT, and now here !! HEHE.

I've tried Mathopd thus far. It's good. Even Apache stripped is quite fast. Though I'm not how fast I want to make my picture server to be. IT seems the more I make it faster, the more people want to download from that one particular site - the more I got to pay for bandwidth :(

I'm all for saving my bandwidth with mogzip though :(

NAPPA
* who is deathly afraid of stopping HTTPD forever with a mistake *

Thanks for the link :) I'm looking at it. I especially need the hotlinking blocking feature. and the ability to run on one IP only. ^.^

I've never heard of this program before, and I'm very interested in seeing the results :)

I wonder if the logs can be made to fake being from apache..... I would love it if it were. No more problems of not knowing where the bandwidth is going.

I do realise that images won't be compressed. But - see the HTML pages will be compressed. And that will save me a few problems. The pages would be sent off faster, and I can get more requests. Though I'm not sure if that's really a good news. The more I seem to give bandwidth to this server, the more people want stuff from it :(

Some pf the pages are 30 - 60KB with tables tested in more tables :(

Keep in mind that no compressed html can be cached by browsers, IE is unable to cache gzipped content :)
If you ever use gzip, make sure to set the compression level to 1 to not kill the CPU ;)

Did you mean Gzip in mod_gzip ? I thought it hadn't been implemented. !

No, gzip have 10 compression level, from 0 to 9
Level 1 should acheive a pretty high compression level already, ~70%
Using the default level of 6 only leads to little gain, around ~75-80% but use much more CPU cycles

Back