Looking to upgrade server from Cent OS7, options

rszkutak

Verified User
as the title says i'm looking at upgrading my server from Cent OS7 to a new VM with a new OS.

I'm looking at another VPS server from another provider as Inmotion where i am currently at seems to be a bit slow from a network perspective. My OS Choices for the new provider are:

Ubuntu 20.04, Ubuntu 18.04
CentOS 8, CentOS 7
Debian 10, Debian 9
OpenSuse Leap 15

Out of the above options what would be a better choice for the long haul over the next few years?

You forgot some. Centos 8 is EOL as of january 1st. There are replacements like Rocky Linux and others, but probably Alma linux is the best as Centos replacement.
In other cases I would choose Debian or if you like Ubuntu more then Ubuntu (which is a Debian derative).

DA does not support Suse so that is not an option.

Hi

I believe you have misunderstand regarding CentOS Stream is Continuous Delivery development
The owner Greg Kurtzer admits : Red Hat did the right thing and the new scenario is better than the old
CentOS Stream: 'I was slow on the uptake, but I get what they are doing now,' says Rocky Linux founder

You can select stream 8 or you can choose 9 if you want to involved on beta releases ...

I believe you have misunderstand regarding CentOS
That is known to me, but since the question was only Centos 7 and 8, I only responded to that.
Centos Stream is indeed supported, but might become more unstable than current Centos 7 and 8 since they are going to use that as even more tryout release than Fedora.
So I that's why I don't suggest Centos 8 stream but did advise Rocky or Alma.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I don't like migrating from server to server so i want to insure i get the right OS from the get go and have a few years out of it. Currently my server is doing OK but it's now getting a bit funky and in some ways slowing down, i suspect it might be acting up because it's a few years old... but that's just me and limited *nix knowledge.

Any suggestion on a provider for a VPS? My buddy is trying to get me to move over to liquid web but man they're expensive as hell.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I don't like migrating from server to server so i want to insure i get the right OS from the get go and have a few years out of it. Currently my server is doing OK but it's now getting a bit funky and in some ways slowing down, i suspect it might be acting up because it's a few years old... but that's just me and limited *nix knowledge.

Any suggestion on a provider for a VPS? My buddy is trying to get me to move over to liquid web but man they're expensive as hell.
AlmaLinux is good. For cheap or low cost vps, you can contact hostmalabar

I don't know. Last time I used them for a hobby VPS. If I look at the prices for VDS, then I would probably rather choose a EX or AX server at Hetzner.

Back