mail server issue

grandm1961

Verified User
I have not really a good idea on which forum i should post this, but the issue i have is with the mail server and domain name for users.
when i make a new user with a new domain name it gives me after completion mail.domain.com the same as the one from the user.

But when making a email account in a email app it doesn't work except when i use the domain of the main server like mail.mainserver.com, than it excepts all the credentials. What am i doing wrong or did i configured wrong or how can users see the right credentials of the main mail server???

I think we need some more details here:

1. What exactly do you get and what would you expect? Is the <name>@<some_domain> wrongly generated?

2. What does `"making a email account in a email app" mean?
2.1 Which software do you use at this point? According to my knowledge, there's no email client which offers direct signups for specific services so I'm not sure what you mean with this.

except when i use the domain of the main server like mail.mainserver.com,
Hmmz. That's odd. Problem is that in apps mostly you can't see what is going wrong. At least I presume you are referring to an email app on the smartphone or tablet.
Does it work correctly with mail.domain.com (from the user) in a normal email client on a pc or laptop?
Also check exim version and exim.conf version.

my server has the domain server.mydomain.com while setting up direct admin and than i made a reseller with a domain name like xyzzy.com and in that reseller account they made a new email address say [email protected] than when that is made it says to use the following mail.xyz.com and mail.xyz.com with port 587.

But when one uses his beloved mail app on computer or phone it cannot connect with the given credentials, but when the use mail.mydomain.com they can. and that goes for every other domain name made by the reseller.

i hope this explains it a bit better.

I already understood that, so no problem. I presume you are also using port 587 for mail.mydomain.com?

Install newest exim and exim.conf on your system first.
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build set exim yes
./build set eximconf yes
./build set dovecot yes
./build set dovecot_conf yes
./build update
./buld exim
./build eximconf
./build dovecot
./build dovecot_conf

Try again after this.

Is SSL enabled for the domain? Did you generate an SSL certificate for mail.xyz.com? Is mail_sni enabled in directadmin.conf?

I already understood that, so no problem. I presume you are also using port 587 for mail.mydomain.com?

Install newest exim and exim.conf on your system first.
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build set exim yes
./build set eximconf yes
./build set dovecot yes
./build set dovecot_conf yes
./build update
./buld exim
./build eximconf
./build dovecot
./build dovecot_conf

Try again after this.
Done that already, and it gave me the same result. At the moment i am trying to make a reverse proxy so people can login into Directadmin over the internet, it is working here for me, but not for clients. I am in a learning curve before i actually going to buy the license and want everything to working well before i buy the license. I already installed everything at least a dozen times to get the best production setup, at least i got mail to work, only not on the domain name of clients. that's what i am targeted now.

To answer the question for wtptrs, yes SSL is enabled and mail_sni is also enabled. And No that domain came with his own SSL certificate and i have no idea how to use multiple different certificates for each mail server names.

Is mail.xyz.com included in the certificate? If not, you won't be able to use it as a mail server domain on port 587.

Even with SSL enabled it should be possible to use mail.domain.com without an ssl connection.
If not, you won't be able to use it as a mail server on port 587.
No that is not correct, unless you restrict access to port 587 for ssl only which is not done by default.
Next to that, normally port 465 is used for SSL and 587 for normal and TLS connections.

It might be better to provide us with the real domain name so we can investigate better what can be the cause.

Even with SSL enabled it should be possible to use mail.domain.com without an ssl connection.

No that is not correct, unless you restrict access to port 587 for ssl only which is not done by default.
Next to that, normally port 465 is used for SSL and 587 for normal and TLS connections.

It might be better to provide us with the real domain name so we can investigate better what can be the cause.
Ah thanks for the correction, we do only use 587 for TLS connections.

We do see more and more issues with mail clients complaining when trying to configure an account with SSL disabled though.

You're welcome. Our users also mostly make use of 587 for TLS but also for normal connections (yes some still do). Only a few make use of port 465. Probably mostly because newer Outlook versions automatically go with 587 and TLS when setting up.

well my server is setup as srv1.duraweb.eu and the mail server is mail.srv1.duraweb.eu the website is duraweb.nl so the mail server for that domain should be mail.duraweb.nl and that's not working

somehow mail.duraweb.eu works perfectly but not mail.duraweb.nl, also i am not able to change the name server for those new domains either. so i am not able to use ns1.duraweb.nl

The A-record of mail.duraweb.nl is pointing to Cloudflare IPs, not your server IP. You should log into the Cloudflare DNS Panel and change the A-record for mail.duraweb.nl to your server IP.

mail.srv1.duraweb.eu
This is odd. Double entry? This is a record which is not even found. If this is not a typo, I don't know where you configured this but that is not correct.

The problem for the .nl domain is that it's pointing to 2 different ip adresses on ipv4 and 3 different ipv6 adresses.
And ns1.duraweb.nl is non existing.

You really have to check and correct your DNS and nameserver records.

also i am not able to change the name server for those new domains either
Where and why not?

somehow mail.duraweb.eu works perfectly but not mail.duraweb.nl, also i am not able to change the name server for those new domains either. so i am not able to use ns1.duraweb.nl
Check also:

I don't see the mx record for duraweb.nl is something like mail......dura...
"

Technische details:​

Mailserver (MX)IPv6-adresIPv4-adres
dc-af609095d3e7.duraweb.nl.Geen77.161.156.239"

Thnx for all the replies, i have it resolved. I ended cloudflare and now it seemed be working like it should. Now i have to figure out that the SMTP Helo Respond, respond with something else than the servername. I have to dig into that.

That is normal that it responds with the servername. Why shouldn't it?
The SMTP banner can be changed in exim.conf but might be changed back after an update. So probably best is to put that in another file, I don't know which of the custom files can be used for it.
I also am wondering if this will not have effect on rDNS or other anti spam measures when sending out mail.

If you mean this:
Code:
dc-af609095d3e7.duraweb.nl.
Just change your hostname. The SMTP Helo banner normally uses the default hostname.

Was it proxied via CF then? I hear you should leave any ftp., smtp, pop, mail., etc sub-domains un-proxied....

It is still proxied, the issue i had was with cloudflare. Now i have it at where i have bought my domainname, and now it works proper.

Back