Mailing List Setup, easy for non-IT types

edjones

Verified User
The goal:
moderated list... only ONE email can send to it. No digests needed, no one can reply-all, they can reply to list owner ONLY.

The old server had ezmlm, which required the list owner to send to the list, and approve, then it goes out to ALL users. This is what I'm hoping for with the DA one.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that easy. These are users that do NOT have much IT experience, and simply want to email out to their customers (Superbowl party flyer, weekly newsletter, whatnot)

Is there a set of instructions somewhere to do just that? Or is majordomo going to be too complicated for these particular clients?

Perhaps it would be better to get ezmlm installed, since that's what most of my clients know? I thought PHPList would be an alternative, something I can customize per client (when requested) but it's again, too ITish for my average F&B customer who knows beer more than computers.

A few notes: Majordomo is old. The good news is it works well and is secure. However it's interface, as built by GreatCircle when they built it, is commmand line-driven and ancient, and the DirectAdmin web-based interface for it was itself built years ago. Majordomo was built for community lists, not for announcement lists, but as zEitEr points out, can be restricted to use as an announcement list; The DirectAdmin Announcement list (search these forums) which I host for DirectAdmn uses is an example of such a list, running on Majordomo on a DirectAdmin-based server. Once you learn it, it's very powerful, and once you learn the DirectAdmin interface, it's relatively easy to use.

ezmlm is never going to run on DirectAdmin servers because it requires the qmail MTA, and DirectAdmin uses exim.

It might help you to read both the Majordomo Read-Me and the sample list owner info file that you don't get when you set up a list through DirectAdmin; for convenience I've made both available on my website, here (nobaloney.net).

too ITish for my average F&B customer who knows beer more than computers.
That's not a problem, that's a business opportunity for you :).

Jeff

That's not a problem, that's a business opportunity for you :).

Jeff
Indeed it may be. I'm already customizing a phplist download that I might be able to sell off as a service, though I'm already looking for an alternative.

In the meantime, since it's only 2 clients right now, and both have maintenance contracts with me already, I'm just going to do the sending myself.

Back