Migrating to a new server

jayw1

Verified User
Hi,

I will be migrating my website to a new server and need to change my DirectAdmin License IP. What happens to my existing DA installation when I change this?
I don't plan to use any migration tool, I'll just move websites over manually.

Ideal I can do it like this:

• Change DA license IP
  • Install DA on new server and move websites over
  • Destroy old server
will this work okay?

will this work okay?
Yes, if you don't forget to change take care that your new server and domains use the correct nameservers (and ip's) before you destroy the old server. But I presume you know that already. You can also lower TTL before the movement of websites.

You don't really need a new license ip to move to another server, but if you have enough licenses, that's the easiest way to proceed.

You don't really need a new license ip to move to another server, but if you have enough licenses, that's the easiest way to proceed.

I can't install DA on a new server without changing the IP.
As long as my previous server will function whilst I migrate websites, this will be fine.

I can't install DA on a new server without changing the IP.
Correct, you do have to change the IP. And the OS if needed. But indeed the old server will keep functioning while you migrate websites.
You can't update the old one anymore but since it will be destroyed that is not an issue.
However if you have a license left which you're not using at this time, that's a better idea.

Back