minor feature requests

ClayRabbit

Verified User
1. Unsuspend account automatically after account modified and bandwidth limit increased (if it was suspended by tally due to bw exceeding). (And, of course, set sentwarning=no in user.conf)

2. When setting up "catch-all e-mail address" use ":fail: no such address here" instead of ":fail:". This will produce more comprehensive bounces.

3. Is it possible to add parsing of SERVERIP token in welcome e-mail messages (u_welcome.txt and r_welcome.txt) ?

4. serverip ON/OFF in CMD_MODIFY_RESELLER page. We can specify "Can use Server IP" option when creating reseller account, but we can't change this option later. Why?

5. If domain suspended by user - it will be ususpended on account unsuspension by reseller or tally. IMHO, that's not right.

6. Why /CMD_DB (MySQL Menu) requires a 'DOMAIN' parameter? We are implementing our own skin where user-related command are separated from domain-related. In fact '/CMD_DB' it's not domain-related command and there is no use for 'DOMAIN' parameter actually, isn't it?

7. Maybe creation of usernames with leading numbers should be restricted? Becase FrontPage doesn't work if username is started with number.

8. And of course we are still waiting for directory copying and .zip/.bz2 extraction support...

9. When user is setting quota limit to pop3 account, limit in fact must be lesser or equal to that user's account quota limit. "Unlimited" should mean that pop3-account quota is the same as unix account quota. Same with resellers. If reseller is setting quota limit higher than his own limit then real quota must be setted to value equal to that reseller's quota limit. As I see, this is only way to reduce possibility of quota overusage.

10. It will be useful if before saving any changes to zonefile DA will check new zone configuration with
named-checkzone -kfail -nfail <domain> <temp_file_with_new_zone_configuration>
and print errors if named-checkzone failed instead of saving broken zone configuration. Bad zonefile will be refused by BIND and domain will 'dissapear'.
Or, at least, DA should check for non-acceptable (non-latin) characters when user is adding subdomains or zone records.

11. When protecting directory with password via User CP, DA souldn't replace whole .htaccess but only add/replace corresponding directives (AuthName,AuthType,AuthUserFile,AuthGroupFile,require) inside it.

Last edited:
These are some good suggestions. I think the DA team has picked up the pace lately. There are a lot of useful additions in the coming update. I would like to see a major addition soon though(dns, mail, etc)

9. When user is setting quota limit to pop3 account, limit in fact must be lesser or equal to that user's account quota limit. "Unlimited" should mean that pop3-account quota is the same as unix account quota. Same with resellers. If reseller is setting quota limit higher than his own limit then real quota must be setted to value equal to that reseller's quota limit. As I see, this is only way to reduce possibility of quota overusage.

Good ideas however a couple of niches (for me at least).

7. The username should be whatever the user desires (or the billing software randomly generates) Perhaps a feature request should be made to Microsoft to add compatibility/support for usernames beginning with numbers.
I haven't used Frontpage (M$ thing), so I don't know much about it (maybe it's just a limitation in the way DirectAdmin implements it, might be worth investigating further)

9. There is no risk of overusage with email quota because it is counted against the main accounts quota limit. So if a pop3 account is set to unlimited it IS limited to that of the parent accounts quota however the limit is not specified as equal to it.
Maybe it's just me, but it makes sense (to me) the way it is now.

Originally posted by jmstacey 9. There is no risk of overusage with email quota because it is counted against the main accounts quota limit. So if a pop3 account is set to unlimited it IS limited to that of the parent accounts quota however the limit is not specified as equal to it.
Maybe it's just me, but it makes sense (to me) the way it is now.
If mail is on /var partition and user accounts is on /home partition (and I think it's most common configuration), then DA doesn't handle disk quotas on /var partition at all. So it's limited only by virtual quotas specified in /etc/virtual/*/quota. (It's checked by exim's 'virtual_localdelivery:' transport. With 'local_delivery:' transport it's not checked anyway.) And very often we have accounts with 20Mb disk limit and 200 Mb email disk usage (for example).

Of course, another (and much better) solution to this is: DirectAdmin must set qoutas on several partitions (list specified in config) simultaneously.

But anyway quota limits for reseller's users still need to be checked and limited as I described above.

Last edited:
you have a very good point about quota's, mine is the same quota on /usr but not /var and email is stored on /var.

so seems one of 2 solutions.

1 - move email to /usr and them symlink to to /var so DA still functions.

2 - enable quota on /var.

I would like to see a gui change in DA that shows 2 tallies for reseller's.

1st tally been what the reseller account is using and 2nd tally what the reseller and all his accounts total are using, if this already happens I havent noticed it.

Chrysalis said:
so seems one of 2 solutions.

1 - move email to /usr and them symlink to to /var so DA still functions.
Not always "to /usr" but "to quota_partition" - for us it's /home, for example. Yes, it's possible.

2 - enable quota on /var.
Pointless, AFAIK. Without DA support it wouldn't be managed even if you enabled it in partition options.

10. It will be useful if before saving any changes to zonefile DA will check new zone configuration with
named-checkzone -kfail -nfail <domain> <temp_file_with_new_zone_configuration>
and print errors if named-checkzone failed instead of saving broken zone configuration. Bad zonefile will be refused by BIND and domain will 'dissapear'.
Or, at least, DA should check for non-acceptable (non-latin) characters when user is adding subdomains or zone records.

Last edited:
11. When protecting directory with password via User CP, DA souldn't replace whole .htaccess but only add/replace corresponding directives (AuthName,AuthType,AuthUserFile,AuthGroupFile,require) inside it.

7. Saying it again - creation of usernames with leading numbers should be restricted. Or at least creation of usernames consists of only numbers should be restricted, because of mail delivery problems for such usernames. Example:
Delay reason: mailbox The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:

masha@***
Delay reason: mailbox /var/spool/virtual/***/masha has wrong uid (1469 !=911)
Because '911' is the name of user created by silly reseller.

Are you saying that the exim.conf file isn't delivering because it's confusing a user mailbox with a user ID? This shouldn't be possible.

Are you using a standard DA exim.conf file? If so, please tell me the verison number or post the top five lines. I'll do some checking and if it's a bug in exim I'll report it.

Jeff

It's confusing a mailbox owner username with a mailbox owner uid.

No, it's not standard exim.conf, but it's doesn't matter I beleive. virtual_localdelivery transport configuration exactly the same as in default config. (It's exim 4.50 on frebsd 5.4)
You can check that for yourself.

I can't; I don't have FreeBSD.

Can you send me an email address I can try on your system which will result in a bounceback to me? Then I can study it.

Please email it to [email protected].

Thanks.

Jeff

Back