Minor problems after install

Noldar

Verified User
After installing DirectAdmin on a FreeBSD 4.9 box I ran into two minor problems.

When I tried to access SquirrelMail I would get a 403 Forbidden Error. Looking in my error log I saw:
Code:
[Fri Apr  2 15:52:17 2004] [error] [client 65.82.228.48] (13)Permission denied: cannot read directory for multi: /home/admin/domains/staticroute.net/public_html/
This was corrected by editing the httpd.conf and adding the MultiViews option by changing:
Code:
<Directory "/var/www/html">

#
# This may also be "None", "All", or any combination of "Indexes",
# "Includes", "FollowSymLinks", "ExecCGI", or "MultiViews".
#
# Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
# doesn't give it to you.
#
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
to:
Code:
<Directory "/var/www/html">

#
# This may also be "None", "All", or any combination of "Indexes",
# "Includes", "FollowSymLinks", "ExecCGI", or "MultiViews".
#
# Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
# doesn't give it to you.
#
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
The other problem was that the default admin email account that was created for my domain could not receive mail. From another message I saw here I'm guessing this had something to do with the fact that my server hostname (orion.staticroute.net) was the same domain as my email (admin[at]staticroute.net). This was fixed with the following commands:
Code:
cd /etc/virtual
mkdir orion.staticroute.net
chown mail:mail orion.staticroute.net
Just wanted to share in case anyone else ran into these issues. Other than those two minor issues DirectAdmin looks pretty solid so far.

Richard

DirectAdmin Support

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

I think that's because the public_html folder is chmod 710 instead of 750. We've already added that to the versions system and new domains should be created as 750 username:apache for the next release.

John

Noldar

Verified User
I'm pretty sure the SquirrelMail problem was that the MultiViews option was missing. I tried changing the directory permissions and it didn't help. It wouldn't work until I added MultiViews. The error log message tends to point in that direction also.

Richard

Tim

Verified User
I added multiviews, but still have the forbidden

Help :confused:

Noldar

Verified User
Hi Tim,

Did you restart Apache? What does your error log say? It should be in /var/log/httpd/domains/

Richard

DirectAdmin Support

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

Check your /home/username/domains/domain.com/public_html folder and chmod it to 755.

John

Tim

Verified User
now i get 404

[Sun Apr 25 14:06:31 2004] [error] [client IP] File does not exist: /home/username/domains/domain.nl/public_html/squirrelmail/

Noldar

Verified User
It sounds like you either didn't add MultiViews in the correct place or you haven't restarted Apache after making the change.

Richard

Tim

Verified User
- multiviews is in httpd.conf
- 755 is on the dir

but..... do i need to give 755 on EACH public_html ?!

I've about 40/50 users ...:confused:

DirectAdmin Support

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

DA 1.21.3 will create accounts with the correct permission.

The power of sh/bash should make chmodding them easy:
Code:
chmod 755 /home/*/domains/*/public_html
:)

John

Tim

Verified User
But it doesnt work ..... the webmail squirrelmail still doesnt work :(

Noldar

Verified User
Hi Tim,

Sorry you're still having a problem. If you'd like I can take a look at it for you.

Richard

jmstacey

Verified User
Squirrelmail solution:

Try adding this line to your config file right under the alias to the other webmail program ubeimail (sp?) that uses the alias "webmail"

Alias /squirrelmail /var/www/html/squirrelmail
For some reason DirectAdmin does not create the alias to squirrelmail in freebsd (I don't know if the newest version fixed it or not.) I don't think its a problem with other Operating systems.

I'm not sure about this multiview. From my experience installing 2.12.2 it would give me the same error anytime I tried accessing non-existant pages.

I hope that solves your problem.

Last edited: