Minor problems after install

Noldar

Verified User
After installing DirectAdmin on a FreeBSD 4.9 box I ran into two minor problems.

When I tried to access SquirrelMail I would get a 403 Forbidden Error. Looking in my error log I saw:
Code:
[Fri Apr  2 15:52:17 2004] [error] [client 65.82.228.48] (13)Permission denied: cannot read directory for multi: /home/admin/domains/staticroute.net/public_html/
This was corrected by editing the httpd.conf and adding the MultiViews option by changing:
Code:
<Directory "/var/www/html">

#
# This may also be "None", "All", or any combination of "Indexes",
# "Includes", "FollowSymLinks", "ExecCGI", or "MultiViews".
#
# Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
# doesn't give it to you.
#
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
to:
Code:
<Directory "/var/www/html">

#
# This may also be "None", "All", or any combination of "Indexes",
# "Includes", "FollowSymLinks", "ExecCGI", or "MultiViews".
#
# Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
# doesn't give it to you.
#
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
The other problem was that the default admin email account that was created for my domain could not receive mail. From another message I saw here I'm guessing this had something to do with the fact that my server hostname (orion.staticroute.net) was the same domain as my email (admin[at]staticroute.net). This was fixed with the following commands:
Code:
cd /etc/virtual
mkdir orion.staticroute.net
chown mail:mail orion.staticroute.net

Just wanted to share in case anyone else ran into these issues. Other than those two minor issues DirectAdmin looks pretty solid so far.

Richard

Hello,

I think that's because the public_html folder is chmod 710 instead of 750. We've already added that to the versions system and new domains should be created as 750 username:apache for the next release.

John

I'm pretty sure the SquirrelMail problem was that the MultiViews option was missing. I tried changing the directory permissions and it didn't help. It wouldn't work until I added MultiViews. The error log message tends to point in that direction also.

Richard

I added multiviews, but still have the forbidden

Help :confused:

Hi Tim,

Did you restart Apache? What does your error log say? It should be in /var/log/httpd/domains/

Richard

Hello,

Check your /home/username/domains/domain.com/public_html folder and chmod it to 755.

John

now i get 404

[Sun Apr 25 14:06:31 2004] [error] [client IP] File does not exist: /home/username/domains/domain.nl/public_html/squirrelmail/

It sounds like you either didn't add MultiViews in the correct place or you haven't restarted Apache after making the change.

Richard

- multiviews is in httpd.conf
- 755 is on the dir

but..... do i need to give 755 on EACH public_html ?!

I've about 40/50 users ...:confused:

Hello,

DA 1.21.3 will create accounts with the correct permission.

The power of sh/bash should make chmodding them easy:
Code:
chmod 755 /home/*/domains/*/public_html
:)

John

But it doesnt work ..... the webmail squirrelmail still doesnt work :(

Hi Tim,

Sorry you're still having a problem. If you'd like I can take a look at it for you.

Richard

Squirrelmail solution:

Try adding this line to your config file right under the alias to the other webmail program ubeimail (sp?) that uses the alias "webmail"

Alias /squirrelmail /var/www/html/squirrelmail

For some reason DirectAdmin does not create the alias to squirrelmail in freebsd (I don't know if the newest version fixed it or not.) I don't think its a problem with other Operating systems.

I'm not sure about this multiview. From my experience installing 2.12.2 it would give me the same error anytime I tried accessing non-existant pages.

I hope that solves your problem.

Last edited:
Back