Moved from Dedicated to VPS, email forwarding does not work.

sandrift

Verified User
Hello all, moved from a small dedicated to a large VPS, everything on the VPS works great, accept this install has DOVECOT, and no email forwarders work.

I use a bunch of different email addresses with my domain, and then have all those email addresses forward to my yahoo email account, and for years it worked great!
Now, after the move, nothing forwards. I have done a bunch of fiddled with the box for a few weeks now, and cannot get it working right.
Anyone here have any tips or pointers that I can look for?

THANKS!

Some info that may be helpful:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Processor Name Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Vendor ID GenuineIntel
Processor Speed (MHz) 2400.081
Total Memory 1024000 kB
Free Memory 832408 kB
Total Swap Memory 0 kB
Free Swap Memory 0 kB
System Uptime 34 Days, 1 Hours and 10 Minutes
Apache 2.2.14 Running
DirectAdmin 1.36.2 Running
Exim 4.67 Running
MySQL 5.0.67 Running
Named 9.3.4 Running
ProFTPd 1.3.1 Running
sshd Running
dovecot 1.2.10 Running
Php 5.2.12 Installed

Dovecot has nothing what so ever to do with forwarding emails. That job is handled by exim on DA systems, and hasn't changed in many years. I would have to assume that your forwarders didn't get restored properly on your VPS. You should be able to see what they are by looking at /etc/virtual/${DOMAIN}/aliases file. That file would look similar to this:
Code:
user1: [email protected]
user2: [email protected]
user3: user1
which would send any emails destined to user1@${DOMAIN} to [email protected], emails destined to user2@${DOMAIN} to [email protected] and any emails for user3@${DOMAIN} to the alias user1@${DOMAIN} which would in turn be forwarded to [email protected].

Everything is looking correct their, all the alias's are setup and pointing properly in that file. I've even deleted and recreated them, though that did nothing.

Cheers!
Chris

Everything is looking correct their, all the alias's are setup and pointing properly in that file. I've even deleted and recreated them, though that did nothing.

Cheers!
Chris

In that case, you need to watch what happens in the /var/log/exim/mainlog . That log file will tell you what it sees and what it should be doing and if there was a problem. Have you made any modifications to the /etc/exim.conf file? Some things in there may make it not read the virtual alias files.

Back