MS Outlook: outgoing blocked

gcaicco

Verified User
Hi,

I am rather new to all this. I am interested in having my email account open up inside MS Outlook (XP version). I have set the options according to your instructions, and incoming is fine. The outgoing is blocked. I tried both 25 and 2525, I also disabled my firewall. What's next to do?

Thanks

Your ISP is blocking outgoing port 25. You can't just try using 2525 unless you told exim on your mail server to listen to port 2525. You could modify your /etc/init.d/exim file with these changes to use port 2525:
Code:
case "$1" in
  start)
        # Start daemons.
        echo -n "Starting exim: "
        daemon "/usr/sbin/exim $EXIM_OPTS -oP /var/run/exim.pid"
        sleep 20
        daemon "/usr/sbin/exim $EXIM_OPTS -oX 2525 -oP /var/run/exim2.pid"
        echo
        touch /var/lock/subsys/exim
        ;;
  stop)
        # Stop daemons.
        echo -n "Shutting down exim: "
        if [ -e /var/run/exim.pid ]; then kill `cat /var/run/exim.pid`; fi
        if [ -e /var/run/exim2.pid ]; then kill `cat /var/run/exim2.pid`; fi
        echo
        rm -f /var/lock/subsys/exim
        ;;
  restart)
        $0 stop
        sleep 3
        $0 start
        ;;
  reload)
        if [ -e /var/run/exim.pid ]; then kill -HUP `cat /var/run/exim.pid`; fi
        if [ -e /var/run/exim2.pid ]; then kill -HUP `cat /var/run/exim2.pid`; fi
        ;;

But there is nothing on your Outlook side you can do until something on the server is changed to accomodate a different SMTP port.

Again, I am rather new to this. Your advice sounds very helpful, although it also sounds complex. Perhaps i need to go one step at a time: Where do I find the "/etc/init.d/exim file"?

(I am running Win XP SP1).

Thanks

Gregory

/etc/init.d/exim is a file on your server. That is the path to the file, similar to C:\TEMP\XXX.JPG would be in Windows. If you don't have access to your server files, you need to ask your server's admin for an alternate method of sending emails. They may just suggest you use one of the web based mailiers.

OK -- I will contact my ISP tech people and see what they can do. So far they have been rather unhelpful.

Thanks!

Your ISP will tell you to use their outgoing mailserver.

Why don't you want to do that?

When we ran an ISP we required our customers to use our mailservers for all their outgoing email.

Why?

So if we got a complaint that they were spamming, we could look for proof in our logs. Otherwise we'd have been taking anyone's word for it, and kicking legitimate non-spamming users off our network for no real reason.

Your hosting company could decide to offer you SMTP service on another port that your ISP doesn't block, but that would be between them and your hosting company. We do make that available for our clients who request it, but we do charge for it.

Jeff

Indeed, this is the message I received from my ISP (sympatico.ca):

"Unfortunately, port 25 is pernamently blocked for spam related reasons. Please use the following outgoing mail server: smtp1.sympatico.ca "

The reason why I don't want to use Squirrel Mail is that it hardly has the options that MS Outlook has. I want to store my emails on your server (Blue Networking), not that of my ISP, and I would like to view my mail on MS Outlook or a similar program.

Am I desiring too much here?

Thanks

gcaicco said:
Indeed, this is the message I received from my ISP (sympatico.ca):

"Unfortunately, port 25 is pernamently blocked for spam related reasons. Please use the following outgoing mail server: smtp1.sympatico.ca"
That's a very reasonable stance; if all ISPs did it there'd be a lot less spam floating around the Internet.
The reason why I don't want to use Squirrel Mail is that it hardly has the options that MS Outlook has.
Agreed, but that has nothing to do with whether or not you can send email through your webhost's server.
I want to store my emails on your server (Blue Networking),
It's not my server; I have nothing to do with Blue Networking.
not that of my ISP, and I would like to view my mail on MS Outlook or a similar program.
Which you can do.

You can set up Outlook (or any other email program I've ever seen or heard of) to use either POP or IMAP on your webhost's server, and still send email through your ISPs outgoing email server. I'd say over 90% of our clients do that.

I don't know the details for Outlook; I haven't used it since we left Windows some time ago, but all you have to do is set your incoming email server to your webhost's mailserver, probably mail.yourdomain.com, and your outgoing email server to smtp1.sympatico.ca.
Am I desiring too much here?
No. Nor is it something you can't do. It's quite easy, and as I wrote, over 90% of our clients already do it.

Jeff

OK, now I see what you are saying. My emails will remain on my own hosting server, I only use my ISP to send emails out of. Great. I now have it set up and it is working just fine.

Thanks so much for your help.

Gregory

Back