MyDNS?

admonet

Verified User
Hey DirectAdmin dudes,

Ever considered implementing MyDNS? I would think you'd want to run it on a secondary MySQL installation but it seems to be very robust and updates happen very quickly. Please reply with the pros and cons from a directadmin standpoint. I can think of quite a few of both right now :)

Adam

We studied MyDNS for quite a while over a year ago to use in our managed DNS commercial soluiton. We gave up on it because we couldn't replicate the database across a WAN.

What pros and cons do you see?

Jeff

Jeff,
Perhaps you can replicate across a wan using their mydnsimport utility? It allows for axfr zone transfers. I just see speed and stability. I understand that most directadmin clients don't have that many DNS zones to be concerned with speed... just wondering what you thought.

dnsimport isn't quite the same; and it suffers the same problem that BIND suffers; it needs a list of domains for which to import zones.

We actually contacted the author of the replication code for MySQL; he was very helpful but he admitted the databases would not stay in sync for more than a few minutes across a lan.

I deciced I liked the simplicity of flat files vs a MySQL database. MySQL is very fast itself, and very memory efficient as well.

Jeff

Back