MySQL 4.0.18

Ok, redownload the file and give it a go again. I added a line to remove all files with a mysql prefix to get rid of all the links and the old version of mysql. I didn't add it originally because my servers didn't have a problem recreating existing links to new locations. So hopefully this will fix it.
I tested it and installed 4.0.14, 4.0.18, and 4.0.20 and they all came on line and were working properly with the correct version numbers everywhere.

Great job! Without problems.

Will this script work with any other version of mysql? That is, can I use this script in the future when newer version of mysql will come up?

jmstacey, do you have script like that that would upgrade exim ? :)

THX

It should work with future versions as long as the download directory doesn't change on the MySQL website.

I don't have one for exim at this point in time since there hasn't been a need to upgrade it.

As far as I know there are some important bug fixed in the newest Exim version. As you can also read on the exim website:

The current version of Exim is 4.34. See the Download page to get a copy. There were a number of issues with earlier 4.3x versions so their use is discouraged. Security fixes in this release mean that all previous versions should be obsoleted in favour of 4.34.

I'm not sure how important they are, but Gentoo released a patch pretty fast, so I think it might be smart to do an upgrade.

Installed and it worked fine. However when i did a reboot i noticed mysql was down but running in the ps's. :(

I saw suggestions in this thread and other about dual entries of mysql.

Did a "chkconfig --list" and found mysql and mysqld also found dual listings in dir /etc/init.d/

So did a "rm /etc/init.d/mysql" and a "chkconfig --del mysql" restarted the box and it worked fine after that.

Thought i would just share the commands incase anyone got stuck in the future :)

jmstacey said:
I modified the tool to work with FreeBSD
It has only been tested with FreeBSD 4.9
It should leave your data files intact but make backups prior to updating as always!

Code:
fetch [url]http://www.jmstacey.net/da_tools/update.mysql.sh[/url]
chmod 755 update.mysql.sh
./update.mysql.sh

:)

worked fine with FreeBSD 4.10 ..Thanks;)

Just an update. I moved the tool to another location.

Code:
fetch [url]http://www.saevian.com/da_tools/update.mysql.sh[/url]
chmod 755 update.mysql.sh
./update.mysql.sh

I do not know how DA manages MySQL on Fedora as I have only used FreeBSD.

But off the bat it will probably not work as the binary is optimized for FreeBSD and who knows about the file structure, but it may be easy enough to modify it if I knew more about the file structure and how DA manages MySQL. :)

Some tech people tell me that it's not as easy to upgrade mysql on FreeBSD 5.x. there are no official 4.0.20 packages and da uses non-standard file locations.

It was painful...

for freebsd 5.x I realised the same so I just installed the port version of 4.0.20 and told it to use the same db dir which works fine.

Since MySQL is upgraded to 4.0.21, I used this tool to upgrade to the lastest version.

One thing to remind.

The script generates new S90mysql inside /etc/rc3.d/ and DA is using the script S90mysqld.

Just remove S90mysql to prevent from crashing upon reboot.

* for /etc/rc{2-6}.d also.

I just used this script to upgrade to MySQL 4.1.7, the new 'stable' version. Seems to work perfectly, I just had to change the URL to the RPM's a little.

Back