New to DA...

sgod

Verified User
I am new to DA, running a dedicated server, i am used to CPanel.. but figured i would give DA a go.. I am getting an error when trying to create a mysql database.

Error creating the database

Details

Error connecting to MySQL: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
Error connecting to MySQL: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

Distro is freebsd 4.9

Well that means that MySQL isn't running. Try this:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysqld

If that doesn't work there could be a permissions problem. Make sure that the above startup script is executable.

chmod 755 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysqld

Now of course you will want to try to run it again. Then test it. Login to your DirectAdmin and scroll down to the Admin Tools and click on Service Monitor. Does it say it is running? If so you are good to go. If not.... try clicking on the Start link.

Big Wil

my outcome.

BigWil said:
Well that means that MySQL isn't running. Try this:

If that doesn't work there could be a permissions problem. Make sure that the above startup script is executable.

chmod 755 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysqld

Now of course you will want to try to run it again. Then test it. Login to your DirectAdmin and scroll down to the Admin Tools and click on Service Monitor. Does it say it is running? If so you are good to go. If not.... try clicking on the Start link.

Big Wil

Usage: mysqld { start | stop }

# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysqld start
Starting mysqld: [ OK ]
# ps waus

root 77287 0.0 0.1 648 308 p1- I 12:11PM 0:00.01 /bin/sh /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql --datadir=/usr/
mysql 77306 0.0 3.9 35756 19008 p1- S 12:11PM 0:11.69 /usr/local/mysql-standard-4.0.17-unknown-freebsd4.7-i386/bin/mysqld -

in DA:

Error creating the database

Details

any idea?

Last edited:
Try going into DA admin and using the "Service Monitor". Do a stop and then a start.

If that doesn't work you need to contact DA support because that should have been all setup for you already. Definately a problem in the setup.

Big Wil

hrm..

DA shows a PID for it and everythng, but starting it and stopping it does nothing.

Hrmm

'reboot' reboots the machine... i figured it was DA.

one more thing since the reboot i cannot su and i DID define what i was suppose to in sshd_config

And what was it you were supposed to define in sshd_config? I haven't had to do anything in sshd_config. It was fine stock. Do you remember what you changed? May have a misconfigure in there now. Typos happen.

Not going to be able to help you much with this one.

Big Wil

Hrm

BigWil said:
And what was it you were supposed to define in sshd_config? I haven't had to do anything in sshd_config. It was fine stock. Do you remember what you changed? May have a misconfigure in there now. Typos happen.

Not going to be able to help you much with this one.

Big Wil

AllowUser usernamehere

also, isnt DA suppose to set EVERYTHING up? meaning, mail, proftp, etc?

nevermind.

Nevermind, i got it.. mysql.. etc.. i do have one actual problem i havent been able to fix.

how do admins recieve email? i tried squirrelmail using one of my admin accounts, and it doesnt work but email works for my regular user account.

In the /etc/virtual directory make sure that there is a folder with your hostname. For example if you hostname was server.testdomain.com
then there would need to be a directory called "server.testdomain.com" in /etc/virtual.

Back