No IP addresses in Linux config: startips not loading at boot

americanintel

Verified User
Had me scratching my head... nothing would resolve or ping...there were no IP's in the Linux network config. Finally figured out what triggers that... startips...which wasn't loading at boot for some reason after kernel updates.

/bin/systemctl restart startips.service

All is well.

Why did this go away at boot?

Seems it was not enabled then for boot. No clue why this changed after a kernal update. Shouldn't happen.

However, you can check for yourself if it's disabled
systemctl status startips.service

You should see it as "enabled" in the output:
Code:
 Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/startips.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)

If it's not, just set it enabled again:
systemctl enable startips.service
and it should run after a reboot again automatically.

Maybe it's just me, but in general my recommendation would be to add IP addresses to your server the standard way for your OS, and not rely on the startips script. Seems cleaner, and it becomes part of the normal process of booting up.

I can agree with you, but you have to take note you did that, because otherwise on an ip change in the panel you might be looking at 3 ip's. So that's why I also decided to not put them in the OS way.
The primary ip is setup the OS way always anyway.

It's just like panels work, same for cP and if I'm not mistaken Plesk is doing it the same way.
So I guess most will rely on the panel's setup and not create the files physically (os wise).

Odd indeed. So this was again after a reboot?
Is the startips service enabled like I posted in my post #2? Never seen an answer from you on that one.

Back