Not receiving bounce emails from exim (spamblocker4 +clamav)

mangelot

Verified User
Hello,

One question when a specified message gets blocked bij exim rules rbl or clamav and result is an deny message.

Why ist it returned (bounced back) to sender? with the deny message why it is blocked.

Example:
sending email to user on server, with attachment file (.bat)

exim.conf shows:
## deny if email contains an attachment of type we don't accept.
deny message = This message contains an attachment of a type which we do not accept (attachment_not_allow:.$found_extension)
demime = bat:com:pif:prf:scr:vbs:html

So file gets blocked because of extension .bat

log file shows: rejected after DATA: This message contains an attachment of a type which we do not accept (attachment_not_allow:.bat)

but why isn't te sender been notified of the email been blocked, or even better how can i enable this?

regards Marco

Since your logfile tells you that the message was denied, the fault is likely with the originating server. Likely it's not accepting rejects after data. Many servers do not.

For that reason rejecting after data isn't not considered a sure thing.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

But one question the originating server is the same server. (both sender and receiver are on the same server)

example: [email protected] is sending an mail with attachment .bat to [email protected] (both domains on srv01.server.com)

User1 connects throught port 587 SMTP (with verification)
and sends the email to [email protected].
message gets denied by server (spamblocker4) but user1 isn't receiving an bounce email with a reason of deny?
Can it be enabled in exim to allow bouncing back of emails?

Are I'm I thinking in the wrong direction...or did I misunderstood ?

Reagrds Marco

Nothing to do with Exim. Exim is seeing the .bat file attachment, realizing it's not acceptable, and sending the denial. The problem is that the local (desktop?) client sending the email is no longer listening; it thinks the email has been accepted. It's a limitation of your mail sending program (we call it the MUA, which stands for Mail User Agent).

Could you rewrite the exim.conf file to bounce emails instead of refusing them. Yes, but there are lots of important reasons not to do so. Most important is that you'll be bouncing emails to spoofed senders who never sent them to you, and you'll quickly find yourself blocked by most large ISPs and blocklists. So I never recommend it nor teach it.

You could make custom changes to exim.conf to allow .bat files from local senders if that's what you want.

Jeff

Back