nothing being logged in /var log/directadmin

whitehat

Verified User
Totally bizarre problem here.

Logins to DA are being logged as far as history, but nothing - absolutely nothing - is being logged into the files in /var/log/directadmin.

The last file change/addition was almost a week ago - which is not good considering that I have logged into DA many times since the last entries.

And yet, as far as I can tell, everything else in DA appears to be functioning properly.

I have spent the last three hours looking through the DA forum and comparing current conf files to find possible answers.

Yes, the setting in /usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf does read 'logdir=/var/log/directadmin' and
'logger=/usr/local/directadmin/logger' (minus the quotes).

Yes, the 'logger' file exists.

DA stops, starts, and restarts without problems. System messages about services being down, or users being near quota, etc et al all are functioning normally.

As much as I can tell, all other log activity on the server is being logged properly to the appropriate files.

To my recollection, nothing significant has changed on the server. Daily rootkit and rkhunter checks and logwatch checks show nothing.

I'm stumped.

Considering that I usually pour over all the other logs on the server, I don't know how I missed that this log folder was inactive

Restarting DA does nothing to correct this. Anyone have any ideas?

You will probably get more of a straight answer if you email directadmin support instead of posting on here. I am not totally sure how directadmin does their logging if its via crons or on the fly.

Make sure the crond program is up and running.

I emailed John, who responded immediately. The answer was/is so obvious, I slapped myself on the forehead . :)

I had created some new log directories and files, then chowned the entire
directory and, as such, had inadvertently changed the permissions and
ownership of the DA directory.

The /var/log/directadmin directory needs to be diradmin:diradmin and I had set it to root.

Just thought I ought to share the resolution.

Back