[Official Release] DirectAdmin for Redhat Enterprise 3.0

Thanks for the update Jeff

I am pretty sure the last few installs I did I made changes to WBEL & Centos, but if DA has updated this i'll try leaving it alone next time and see what happens. Thanks for the info!

Re: Re: No changes necessary for WBEL

ProWebUK said:
Doesnt WBEL leave /etc/redhat-release there as rhel 3 anyway?

i'm sure it was there when i tested it previously..?

Nope, it doesn't. At least not in currently shipping ISOs of WBEL 3. It ships with /etc/whitebox-release. The DirectAdmin installer creates a symbolic link from /etc/redhat-release to /etc/whitebox-release.

/etc/whitebox-release contains:

White Box Enterprise Linux release 3.0 (Liberation Respin 1)

Which works.

NOTE:
You might want to get in touch with DA staff as to how to make something more generic that will work on RHEL, WBEL, and CentOS as well, since obviously the above symbolic link won't work on CentOS.

Jeff

Re: Re: Re: No changes necessary for WBEL

jlasman said:
Nope, it doesn't. At least not in currently shipping ISOs of WBEL 3. It ships with /etc/whitebox-release. The DirectAdmin installer creates a symbolic link from /etc/redhat-release to /etc/whitebox-release.

I last downloaded just before DA released the RHEL version - and im 95% certain it had redhat-release there, I specifically checked that at the time when trying to determine if DA would go on there ok or not with any/little modifications done on the client side of DA.

Maybe they have removed it now :)

Chris

Changes are no big deal anyway...

making the changes to redhat-release is no big deal anyway, it's 20 seconds in shell and pico to do the whole thing. Well, that's after I've taken the time to symlink nano to /usr/bin/pico :mad: It would be nice if DA would come up with some way to recoignize WBEL and CentOS directly as RHEL clones rather than just reporting it as RHEL. Not sure what would be required, but I wouldn't think it should be that tough.

I'm pretty sure both WBEL and CentOS had to remove redhat-release for copyright reasons - getting rid of all the copyrighted stuff in RHEL is the toughest part about rolling your own distro based on the RHEL SRPM's from what I understand. I've never played with stuff like that enough to even know where to start, but there is some good info on the HowTo on the WBEL site if you are interested in reading about it.

In our install (John can verify this), the RHEL version of DA recognized WBEL without a problem after he made the change to do the symlink.

Jeff

Back